Adopter Wanted for diabetic cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BlackRose, Aug 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackRose

BlackRose Member

I have a newly diagnosed 13 yr old male cat neutered. I can't afford to care for him anymore because im no longer in a stable position. Hes a good cat aside from his medical condition. Also the vet said he has a tumor on his shoulder. So, if someone can help me place him in a loving home with someone who will love him just as much as u do... i would be grateful..

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If you had help with the supplies needed to care for the diabetes would you be able to keep him, or would you be rehoming even without the diabetes?

3. BlackRose

BlackRose Member

I would have to rehome even w.o the diabetes at this point.. unless i find a new place to live. I don't want him to suffer.. i just lost a cat.. i havent even grieved.. then i find out my other baby sick too..

4. JanetNJ

Sorry to hear you are struggling. That must be very stressful. DCIN helps people who qualify with financial aid in carrying for diabetic cats. While ongoing care for a diabetic cat is not usually excessively expensive, having to pay out money for all the supplies and vet bills needed initially can add up.

If despite help with the diabetic care you still need to rehome, Dcin MAY be able to network to try to find a foster or adopter.

Where do you live?

@Chris & China

5. BlackRose

BlackRose Member

Staten Island, NY

6. JanetNJ

Howdy neighbor... I am in nj.

Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  7. BlackRose

BlackRose Member

Oh, hello, that's cool. Its nice to know someone can understand what i'm going through..

JanetNJ likes this.
  8. JanetNJ

I tagged Chris who is associated with DCIN so she can give you more info about how they might be able to help

9. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

DCIN can help try to find a home but it may take time. We have over 100 diabetic cats looking for new homes BUT it only takes 1!!

If someone happens to see a kitty that calls to their heart, that's all that matters.

We can also help with providing you with insulin and testing supplies so you wouldn't have to pay for those things.

Here's the link to our website

10. Ronnon

Ronnon Member

Sorry but I don´t understand how people is able to give up cats when they are diagnosed with diseases. The cats and other animals are family. Do you give up a baby, a friend, a daddy, a mom..?

Perhaps the health care system for pets in UK and US is more expensive that in Spain, but my heart breaks down in many pieces when I read that a illness cat need a new home.

How much it costs the insuline in US? Is it so expensive? Step by step a cat could be monitored at home with glucometer, many times is not required go to the vet every month.

Sorry if I sound a bit hard but this situation is very sad. Unfortunately in Spain so many cats and dogs are abandoned due to the diseases. It´s not fair.

11. BlackRose

BlackRose Member

In the US insulin is 300-500 depending on the pharmacy. And to my understanding. Your assuming, that Im now giving up my pet just because he has diabetes. Which is not the case. 1 it is very expensive, not everyone is fortunate to be wealthy and spend thousands of dollars to treat a pet for the rest of their lives. Ive had my cats for a very long time, i just euthanized 1 other because he had cancer a week ago and right after i find out my next 1 jas diabetes. So before assuming that I dont consider my pet family ask questions first. Giving him up for adoption is a last resort and its not because he has diabetes, im practically homeless myself and ive been giving up places to stay for the sake of my pets and ive given them the best possible life i could give them, given my situation isnt the best. Your not in the US. And you dont understand the grief im dealing with to just have lost a pet that i loved dearly...

12. JanetNJ

Vetsulin is $50-55. ProZinc is $90. Novelin is $30. Not all insulin is expensive. Vials can last several months depending on the dose. You are thinking of lantus which is $300, but if ordered online from Canada it's $169 for a year supply.

Housing is hard to find sometimes with a pet. Try writing on local Facebook forums asking if anyone has a small apt for rent that will allow a cat. My first apt said no pets....we went through a realtor who asked the landlord if we could have the cats, and they said yes but we had to give extra security.

Staten Island is expensive. Would you consider a move to nj?

13. BlackRose

BlackRose Member

Lantus is what was suggested by my vet

14. BlackRose

BlackRose Member

If i can find a place to live that will accept my pet. i would love to keep him. But i live in staten island, and work in brooklyn. 2 jobs and school online. In doing it by myself caring for my cats. I dont have helo and with my own shelter at risk. I have to consider better option for him. I wouldnt see him on street.

JanetNJ likes this.
  15. JanetNJ

16. BlackRose

BlackRose Member

Housing is difficult.. i was already homeless with them. I cant do it again. Im willing to pay extra for my pets but i dont have luck finding a place. Thanx i will try that too

17. JanetNJ

If it's a two family home apt, try talking to the landlord and asking if you could keep the cats... Offer a little bigger security deposit.

18. BlackRose

BlackRose Member

Whats this you referring to ??

19. JanetNJ

This is the Canadian website that sells lantus at 1/3 the price of the United States. Many on here use this site. Search for lantus and you will see how much more affordable. And please contact the DCIN organization. They have helped many people on here with financial difficulties with insulin, syringes, and testing supplies.

20. BlackRose

BlackRose Member

Oh, no my living situation is not like what you think. I currently stay with someone and for w.e personal reason. They dont want me there anymore..
    I applied for the assistance, it takes time for them to get back to you. And even w.o diabetes, i would have to consider giving my pets up. If i can't find a place to live. At the moment, my living situation isnt a guarantee. So its stressful right now i tried apt search, NY is expensive.

21. JanetNJ

I've seen in my own town someone was offering an apt for rent and someone responded asking is a small dog was OK and the guy said yes. Post on local brooklyn/SI residents FB boards saying you need a 1 br that allows cats for under $X per month. You may get some leads.

HereKittyKittyKitty likes this.
  22. JanetNJ

Seaview Apartments in SI allow cats with a $500 fee+ $40 extra per month.

Parkview House also allow up to 2 cats and doesn't mention any extra fees or rent.

70 Andros Ave apt is super cute and updated and allows cats $1400

HereKittyKittyKitty likes this.
  23. JanetNJ

24. Ronnon

Ronnon Member

I´m sorry, I did not mean to offend you.

25. BlackRose

BlackRose Member

Is there an insulin, that can be given once a day but maybe a higher dosage ?? Novalin, humalog, which one is the best ?

26. BlackRose

BlackRose Member

Is there an insulin that can be given once a day but maybe in a higher dosage.?

27. BlackRose

BlackRose Member

And thanx for this. I did call and i was told new apartments are opening.

Jenna Josie and JanetNJ like this.
  28. JanetNJ

No insulins last 24 hours in a cat because their metabolism is faster than people. Novolin usually lasts about 6-8 hours in the system... Same for H and vetsulin. Vetsulin usually lasted about 8-9 hours for my cats. ProZinc can last - little longer. Up to 14 hours on some cats but generally 10-12 hours. Lantus is longest lasting but it's a deposit insulin and still needs to be dosed twice a day. Generally lantus had the highest rate of remission followed by ProZinc. I used vetsulin for two years. After the first four months my cat went into remission for a year but then came out of it and went back on it for the past year. I just recently switched hoping it would help.

What is your schedule like? Insulins that are in and out such as vetsulin and ProZinc are a bit more flexible with shot times.

29. BlackRose

BlackRose Member

2am-12pm. Work in brooklyn.

30. BlackRose

BlackRose Member

I tried the canadian site too, and its 125 for lantus.. but im not understanding. If i could use prozinc or those other ones why wouldnt my vet, suggest presecription for those. $125 is not a bad price.. but how long does it last.. and so okay the insulin cost seems somewhat solved and i already looked up home testing. Im just trying to figure out scheduling. And if i dont have to pay 125... why pay if the others work too... should i call my vet and ask to be prescribed something else ??

31. BlackRose

BlackRose Member

This is soo stressful... i know this is a post of diabetic cats..but i also have female spayed and shes 13lbs.... she barely eats food.. idk if its cause my oreo gobbles all of it or if she miss the one that died... yesterday, i saw her go in litter box as if to make pee but then i ddnt see anything in there... Do they foster home, diabetic cats. I just want to get my Oreo into remission if possible.. and its just soo much information to deal with.. how do you manage...

32. JanetNJ

Lantus had the best track record of working well which is probably why it's his go to insulin. How long it lasts depends on the dose. A 10 ml vial of lantus has 1000 units in it. It can typically stay effective up to 6 months from the time it is first punctured but you will most likely have some leftover that goes to waste. A 3ml pen of it has 300 units in it. You will use it all before it expires which is why many opt to get 5 pens because there's no waste. Either one is fine though and very reasonably priced through Canada. Crazy expensive in the US.

ProZinc in the US is about $96 dollars through chewy ($130 or more through the vets pharmacy). This is a u40 insulin meaning there's 40 units per ml as opposed to lantus which is a u100 insulin so it has 100 units per ml. So a10 ml bottle of ProZinc has 400 units in it. So per unit is cheaper to go lantus.

Vetsulin is not as long acting, but I had success with it initially. It's also a u40 insulin so 400 units per vial and costs about $55 per vial. This like ProZinc has that hour of time flexibility. Vetsulin works well for some but is to strong /harsh acting (steep drops) for some.

Pro of lantus good track record, inexpensive when bought from Canada

Pro of ProZinc still a quality insulin with a little more flexibility in dosing time (up to an hour).

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  33. BlackRose

BlackRose Member

Oh okay.
    Thanx... does anybody know someone who wouldnt mind taking on a diabetic cat.. the whole adoption thing is a long process...

34. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

I am sorry to hear you are struggling with your cats and housing. I can imagine it is very stressful. I do hope you can find suitable housing for you and your cats. Just out of curiosity.....have you looked at housing in Brooklyn or Queens? I thought SI was super expensive being so close to, and an easy commute to Manhattan. I do hope you can find a way to keep your cats; if not here a few resources you might try. DCIN was already mentioned.

For petes sake my copy and paste is not working again!

Feline Rescue of Staten Island
    Diabetic Cats In Need
    cat.rescueshelter.com

Public Service Announcement: these agencies operate all on the generosity of volunteers and donations. If you do need to give up your cats I hope you can also give a donation to support their care. Best wishes to you!

Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  35. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Local rescues might be a source, they might have foster people willing to take him. Also check with people you work with. Another place is ask your vet, they might be able to help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.