advice for non diabetic dry cat food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jen, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jen

Jen New Member

Hello Everyone:
    I don’t come here often, but did when my cat Floyd was diagnosed with diabetes years ago. At 17, Floyd died a few days ago — the diabetes, hyper thyroidism and the progressive renal failure didn’t get him… Vet suspects he had a blood clot.

I am now getting ready to welcome a new cat/kitten into my life and I wanted some advice so that this one doesn’t become diabetic.

As far as you’re concerned, is there ANY dry food that is safe? It’s just so much more convenient when one is away for an overnight. I wouldn’t feed the new addition dry exclusively, but perhaps dry for breakfast and canned for dinner. Of course if you ask at the pet store or vet, they are happy to sell you their dry food with promises that it does no harm. I just wanted to get an opinion from those that really know and care.

On that note, I’d like to thank everyone on this board who took the time to answer my queries and provide reassurance. You gave me the confidence and encouragement I needed when I first learned about my cat’s diagnosis, and subsequent issues that arose. You are a good bunch!!!

Thanks,
    Jen

2. Juliet

Juliet Guest

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. Young Again Zero has the lowest carbs. The moisture issue (as in lack thereof) still exists, however, as with any dry food.

CassWTribby likes this.
  4. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

I was just going to suggest young again food!

5. Pumpkin's Mom

Pumpkin's Mom Member

Pumpkin just started on Young Again Zero. Down 100 already! He loves it too, so does my 5 yo non-diabetic cat.

6. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Dr Elsey has a new line that has been a huge hit with my non diabetics....we tried YA and they all got sick with diarrhea and vomiting.
    Dr Elsey has a chicken which is under 5% carb and a salmon that is just under 10% carb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.