? Advice needed re: Food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Squalliesmom, Mar 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I have to find a new food that all four of my fur kids can eat (low carb for The Bear, limited ingredient for civvie w/IBD, tasty to all four) that I can afford. SquallieBear is VERY carb-sensitive, so it needs to be REALLY low in carbs, and not too high in phosphorus. I tried Special Kitty hoping it would work out, and be a savings, but no joy there. Squall is okay with the carbs but all four cats have lost weight on it, one civvie throws up all the time on it, my IBD girl can't tolerate it at all, and the fourth civvie doesn't like it.

I am open to any recommendations or suggestions!

I have been looking at Evo 95% Chicken and Turkey - anyone tried this one?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  2. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I know some cats on the forum eat these--Mine of course won't touch it except to lick the gel on ocassion :confused:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  3. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

Pimp eats Merrick Purrfect Bistro chicken pate. I think it fits all your requirements and a bit cheaper than evo 95. High calorie, too.

Critter Mom and Squalliesmom like this.
  4. Squalliesmom

High calorie is good. My guys have lost more weight than I am comfortable with.

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  5. Squalliesmom

Lol, I have finally learned not to buy more than a couple of cans at a time for the first few weeks when I try out a new food! When my crew decides they don't want a food any more, that's it, they are done with it. They won't even nibble, they just turn up their little noses and walk away, little buggers!

6. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I have used this in the past. I think they've had a formula change since I last fed it though. It is a good food. My cats won't eat it for very long though, usually only a can or two stretch and they get bored with it. I've always thought it to be a greasier food that causes some looser stools and would feed it when someone seemed like they needed a little cleaning out :rolleyes:

Nature's Variety Instinct makes some limited ingredient foods that might be good for IBD, diabetes (0-3% carb) and its lower phosphorus on some of the formulas. Its not going to be as cheap as Special Kitty, but I don't think it is more than EVO 95%.

Critter Mom and Squalliesmom like this.
  7. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Here's are the Phos levels of Natures Variety
    image.jpg

Squalliesmom likes this.
  8. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

untillll next month when you give it to them and they look at you like "why have you never got this before?":rolleyes:

9. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

I give up on finding something both of mine will like at the same time. Personally, I think they discuss the day's food behind my back, and conspire together to give me a jellybean UP, or a jellybean DOWN. Just to keep me on my own toes.

10. Squalliesmom

It's always feast begging cat.jpg or famine kitten and food.jpg , lol!

11. Squalliesmom

I used to feed my IBD girl Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient, but she really disliked it so I gave up. She is very picky. As the only girl of the group, she's something of a prima donna (read: brat, lol).

Critter Mom likes this.
  12. Danielle Hrubiak

Danielle Hrubiak Member

Hey guys,

I saw mention above of high calorie food being a good thing. Is this just for the simple fact that high calorie means they can eat less thus less cash out of pocket, more or less?

I'm feeding Wellness which is calorie dense and my girl has gained SO much weight...and what I give her (5.6oz per day so not a whole lot) is never enough. She's ALWAYS hungry. :-/ I'm looking to switch her to a lower calorie food...

13. Steph

Steph Member

14. Steph

Steph Member

My Stubbie has been on EVO for two years. The other cats like it, too. They are all on EVO and Wysong Epigen 90.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  15. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

I can share your frustration - I have learned never to throw away food because sometimes, months later, Murphy will decide to eat something (I had untouched Epigen 90 for 3 months before I gave it to him one day and he ate it. @Merlin told me about a semi-moist food with no grain or starch called Waggers http://www.waggers.com Murphy will definitely eat that sometimes, and it doesn't raise his blood sugar like Evo does.
    Calorie dense is good for me because Murphy is a very poor eater (IBD/pancreatitis) so I want to get as many calories in his first few bites of food as possible, because I can never count on him finishing anything.

Squalliesmom and Critter Mom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.