Advice needed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sara and Mr. Kitty, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara and Mr. Kitty

Sara and Mr. Kitty Member

Hello! I need help understanding AMPS and PMPS testing. I give 3U Vetsulin at 9am/9pm and have been testing pre-food around 8am/pm, then feed and test again at 9am/pm before his shot. Is it normal for his BG to go from 111 pre-food to 397 post-food in an hour? I tried to do a mini curve yesterday but I was unable to test a few times so I don’t know how accurate it is. Should I stop pre-food testing and just test after eating right before his shot. I’m definitely overthinking everything and need help.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It's totally possible for it to go up that much....especially if there's still any dry in the picture.

One of the reasons we're don't really like Vetsulin for cats is because once it wears off, it tends to wear off quickly.

So between the last shot wearing off and feeding, that's probably what happened.

With Vetsulin you should always test first, feed and wait 20-30 minutes and shoot so that the insulin has carbs on board when it "hits". It tends to hit hard and fast so having food in the bloodstream is important.

3. Sara and Mr. Kitty

Sara and Mr. Kitty Member

Thank you! I will continue to test right before he eats then. We’re transitioning off dry by giving him half of what’s recommended in dry and half of what’s recommended in wet 30 minutes before shooting. It’s been 5 days now so we’re going to scale back the dry even more starting tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.