Advice on Dosing

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by TheReal_JD, Jun 17, 2019.

1. TheReal_JD

TheReal_JD New Member

Posted this on the main thread and moving here. I am going to also read the low and slow instructions for dosing as well. Background, I am fostering a diabetic kitty girl since summer of last year, she was on novolin, but with the humane society's blessing, I took over all of her veterinary care, so I take her to a private vet out of pocket, and pay for all of her testing supplies and lantus, because if I left it up to them they wouldn't pay for any of that because "it's not necessary"

First off, I am going to work to update my testing spreadsheet, it doesn't consistently work for me, I don't have a computer at home so that leaves me to update from work in between seeing patients or staying late to do so, so my spreadsheet is sparse.

My question is, my cat is on Lantus, and we have steadily increased her dose from 1.5 units BID in October 2018, to 4.5 units on 5/21/19 due to curves and readings showing her consistently in the 300mg/dL readings on 1.5 to 4.0 units. She has also gained 4lb since October so that could account for the increase in dose over time. She has been doing well, peeing less, seems happier, etc. I have been testing on and off due to my schedule and her stress level at the ear pricks. Cue to yesterday morning when I was doing a curve to send to my vet, and got the living sh*t scared out of me, as these were her readings (had 4.5u lantus at 18:00 the previous evening):

6/16
    06:00: 122mg/dL (gave no shot, freaked TF out as she has never been that low ever).
    07:00: 140mg/dL (still no shot, thought it was a misreading earlier)
    11:00: 219mg/dL
    15:30: 220mg/dL
    18:00: 278mg/dL - gave 3.0u lantus

6/17
    AM pre shot 05:15: 283mg/dL - Gave 3.5u lantus this morning

Last night I shot her with 3.0 units of lantus, out of fear and not knowing how proceed with adjusting doses based off a reading. My question for you all is, is there any hard and fast rule as to backing off doses? Or am I going about this all wrong? She has consistently scored in the 300s since I started fostering her, no matter what dose, I have NEVER gotten a reading in the 100s ever, or even really low 200s. Do you continue the dose if she continuously tests in the 200s? Or do you back off? She wasn't being managed well for the past few months on her doses, consistently scoring in the 300s no matter the dose, so I am concerned at how to proceed. Of course my vet will weigh in later today or tomorrow as I am emailed my concerns to her after the curve. Her fructosamine at her 05/17/2019 visit was 392 which was high, and she had been on 4.0 units of lantus since mid february. Her BG at that visit, right before her evening shot, was 343mg/dL.

After this posting i am going to go through and fill in blanks of her curve history and testing history as I have records for. And yes from now on I will test her 30 minutes prior to each shot moving forward, I am just hoping to get some advice on how to adjust doses, if that is now what I need to do, based on her readings, or if you stay the course as long as she is in the 200s, of giving the large dose, and you don't back off unless she is under 200 or 150 or whatever magic number it is. Thanks everyone!

PS - I rush ordered a new meter and new strips, which arrived last night, because I was scared my meter had gone bad or something, so todays reading of 283 was in line with my other meter, so looks like a new meter wasn't necessary, that was actually her reading

2. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

I gave you my two cents on the Main health but hopefully this comment will bump you to the top of the page! You can also add a "?" icon to your title by editing your title and choosing the ? from a drop down menu to the left of the text, that might help get some attention in this busy forum :)

3. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

4. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with Amanda, with the ? icon in your title, you should get an answer !

AmandaE likes this.