Advice on Handling a Bounce

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LokiL, Feb 13, 2019.

1. LokiL

LokiL Member

Hey All-

So Loki bounced yesterday, and the numbers have just been completely off the rails since then. Do I just stay course and wait for the storm to pass? Is it "okay" that he's this crazy high for significant periods of time as long as behavior isn't changing? Just looking for a bit of advice. I was hoping we would just be returning to pre-bounce numbers, but this is the worst he's been numbers-wise in a long time

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Cats bounce because their bg drops lower than they are used to. Are you following a protocol? I’m trying to figure out why you dropped to 4 units. What ate you feeding Loki?

LokiL likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Bounces are a natural reaction to numbers lower than they are used to. It can take up to six cycles to clear a bounce. Lowering the dose if a reduction is not earned will make the numbers worse. Hold the course and check daily for ketones while the numbers are high.

LokiL likes this.
  4. LokiL

LokiL Member

The lowering to 4u from 4.5u was bad timing. My vet had requested a reduction back to 4u until our follow up with her this Friday. Then, after that request, he bounced. Was unable to get a response from her, and came up dry on looking for advice here and wasn't sure what to do.

As far as food- he is on Hills m/d for the time being. We'll be making a switch in the long run, but he's readily eating this and has been a bit pickier since his diagnosis

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Choosing to use one of our dosing methods will help us help you on dosing. And then you don’t have to wait for the vet to respond to your questions on dose. The numbers on 4.5 units would not have earned a reduction by either of our dosing methods.

The Hills m/d isn’t a great food for diabetics. Is it the wet food version?

Here is the link to your previous post http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/loki-2-12-19-pmps-500.210685/

6. LokiL

LokiL Member

Correct- it is the wet food version. I agree it isnt the best food for him, but that's what he was eating during hospitalization last week, and with the amount of weight he had lost before that the thought was to keep him eating *something* in the interim, with the goal of transitioning him to something that would fit better long term (Diabetic, CKD Stage 2, early stage megacolon)