? Advice on Peeing outside the box

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by des5, Jun 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. des5

des5 New Member

So my cat keeps peeing outside her box and we are not sure how to stop it. She does it in plastic bags and papers and sometimes in the tub. She is getting over a uti but I am wondering if there is anything we can do to get her to stop peeing outside the box. Thank you.

2. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

If she is getting over a UTI she might associate her box with having that. Most everyone is sleeping now. You may get more replies later on. I put shredded newspaper in my cats box when he had a bladder infection until it cleared up and would use his box again.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Non physical issues. We have 6 cats in the house now and have had as many as 9 and a dog. Of the group of nine, six were a family, one undisputed alpha male and they all adored the dog. Lots of love, never once had a pee/poop issue. Now there's an ongoing dispute over who's the boss and the bully will block access to the basement to the newest male, Sam. So Sam takes refuge in the master bedroom and sees the huge tub as a safe place to go. I've had cats for almost 40 years and have seen all the newspaper/plastic/vinyl issues a cat can have. Sometimes they're like children who are just signaling you they're annoyed about something or it could be physical pain from something as yet undetectable. You'll probably get more responses if we knew what the home situation was and more medical history. Keep posting and good luck.

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

What is your current box set up like, (I.e. how many, location, covered, litter, last time you got a new box, etc?)

Squeakycats likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

He's probably associated the box with pain. Try cat attract litter... Add a second box...

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  6. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

3 of my cats pee outside of the box. Maya has inflammatory bowel disease, she pees on catnip toys, dog bed, in the toy box and on the floor. Another cat has stomatitis and likes to pee in front of the litter box. And now, Griff, the one with diabetes, has started peeing on the dog beds. I am following this thread to see what recommendations there are! FYI, I have 7 cats and 9 litter boxes.

storm likes this.
  7. JanetNJ

I had a cat who w would poop in his box but didn't like to pee in it. We tried many things but he was never consistent.... We finally compromised and started putting puppy training pads in front of the box, and once we did that's where he went without peeing in random places.

BTW my favorite cleaner is anti-icky poo unscented which I get from Amazon. Leaves no cat or cleaner smell behind.

Lisa and Smoky likes this.
  8. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Just seven words that sum up the problem at least half the time. Don't over analyze. "It hurts when I pee so I'm going to pee somewhere else."

9. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Yes, I started using the pee pads for the stomatitis guy and that works most of the time. Sometimes he misses his mark:rolleyes:, I will try the anti icky poo. The stuff I got smells yucky!!! Thank you!

10. JanetNJ

Sometimes the cleaners smell almost as bad as the pee! This is the first effective cleaner I can say honestly had no lingering smell. I bought a gallon and just refill a quart bottle.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  11. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Seriously, right!?!?!??!

12. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

@primalkitty there's a member with a FD kitty that has stomatitis. I see you have a civvie with it. Was curious if you could share how your kitty is treated for it? I'm going to tag the member too...
    @Cherryl & Mouzer hopefully they will have some info on treatments!

primalkitty and Cherryl & Mouzer like this.
  13. Cherryl & Mouzer

Cherryl & Mouzer Well-Known Member

Thank you! I am hoping to find out something for pain and inflammation, that is not a steroid.
    The vets all use depo-medrol for this and I dont know what to do.

14. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

I agree she is associating the litter box to the pain from her UTI so she is avoiding it. Maybe moving the box to a different place for a while will help.

15. JanetNJ

Or a completely different box. Maybe the sides are too high.

16. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Hello, sorry for the delay. I don't get on here very much.

Originally I was having Convenia shot and steroid shots every few months. I had to do Convenia because there is NO way to give Opie oral meds. He ended up getting some lower infected teeth, so I took him into the vet for a cleaning and extraction. Amazingly his other teeth were in pretty good condition. They did note a couple of mouth ulcers. The vet recommended to just keep doing the steroids. I just took Opie in to the vet a couple of days ago for his shot. The steroids seem to keep the swelling and redness down and I can tell he feels better because he eats better. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like he is ever going to be "healed". :(

StephG likes this.
  17. storm

storm Member

my sugar baby pees outside the box as well not consistently but at least once or twice a day, i have 7 cats and 10 boxes .. my boxes are divided between 2-1/2 rooms ( bedroom, walk in closet and bathroom so dogs cant snack from them) i used 66 qt plastic storage totes for 7 of the boxes with 1 end cut about 2-3 inches lower as an opening for them, all 7 hold 28 lbs of litter , i have 1 super jumbo litter box that also holds 28 lbs and 1 under the bed storage tote that holds 7-14 lbs of litter (1 of my civvies loves to throw litter all over as he digs to china so deeper boxes was the only way to actually keep litter in the box) i also have a plastic dish pan which hold about 3-5 lbs of litter next to my toilet and another dish pan i keep in the shower when not using it as my bully civvie will some times trap my sugar boy either in the shower or behind the toilet. my bedroom and walk in closet have heavy duty ( 6ml thick) plastic sheeting down covering the floor, with junky area rugs and carpet remnants on top, i also use wee wee pads under those in the spots he will pee in like between my bedroom doorway and the bathroom and i have some old big Bath sheets down over the wee wee pads to keep 2 other cats from chewing on them, i have 1 box in the walk in closet, 4 in the bedroom and 5 in the bathroom. he does occasionally use the litter boxes to pee in but for the most part he pees outside of it and always has. the only spot i have an issue with it he will some times pee next to the bathroom door which when open is right across from my bedroom doorway so i had learn quickly to keep slippers next to my bed if i have to get up in the middle of the night lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.