Advice welcome

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nekder365, May 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nekder365

Nekder365 New Member

Hello everyone i am a first time poster so please be gentle with me (i dont normally use forums social media etc).
    I have read copious amounts on Feline Diabetes lately but am becoming more in favour of the way things are done in the U.S. (Im in the U.K.). Over here (to my experience) the vets do not like or either recommend home testing.
    My cat,Jack, has been diabetic for about 7 months and is still on 4mg of Caninsulin(?) twice daily.We have started to cut dry food out in favour of wet food.
    Everything was going fine until very recently when Jack started peeing out of his litter box.
    That is when i decided its maybe too much dry food causing him to drink more. Would this be a possible cause for that?
    I suppose in essence i am seeking some encouragement to start home testing even though 3 different vets here have said not to.
    I appreciate how much my vets do for my pets but i feel Jack is just staying the same. Thank you for reading.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I think you mean 4 units and yes, that's a high dose of Caninsulin but if you've been feeding dry, that's probably what's keeping his numbers up.

Home testing is very important, especially if you're changing the diet. Not only will it help keep him safe, but you'll be better able to see how he's really responding to treatment.

If you've been on Caninsulin for 7 months and haven't gotten good results, I'd be asking your vet to switch you to ProZinc (which is approved in the UK now) or even Lantus, Basaglar or Levemir (human insulins they can write a script for if you have proof that Caninsulin hasn't been working)

Oh and a few links you should check out with a lot of information about this site and what you can do to make it easier for members to have all the info they need to best help you, in case you haven’t already

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/the-basics-new-to-the-group-start-here.18139/

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-how-you-can-help-us-help-you.216696/

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Its not just in the UK. Vets here say the same thing. Its mostly because they think their clients dont want to test, are afraid to test, arent capable of doing tests. Pick one...:rolleyes:
    Unfortunately SOME Vets say this because if you DID home test...it means less $$$ for them.
    Home testing is the ONLY way to keep on top of any ones diabetes. I know there are new gadgets and technology but they come at a price. (Just like vet visits)
    I was lucky to have a vet that was thrilled I wanted to home test. She worked WITH us. I wish all vets would give their clientas more credit. :(
    jeanne

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  4. Nekder365

Nekder365 New Member

Thank you for your reply. I have started home testing because of Lockdown here my vets are only seeing emergency patients and i can already see great improvements in Jack :)

jt and trouble (GA) and JanetNJ like this.
  5. Nekder365

Nekder365 New Member

Thank you for reading. As i have said in the reply above i have started home testing and cut out dry food and the change in Jack is wonderful to see (and hear :)).
    I feel like i have my big man back so its onwards and upwards for Jack T Cat. x

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome!
    It would be very helpful if you could set up your spreadsheet so we can see your BG data.
    Here is a link to setting up the spreadsheet . If you have any trouble setting it up let us know and someone will help you.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

If you are /have swapped over to a low carb canned diet, the blood glucose can drop more than 100 points. So make sure you are testing the BG and adjusting the insulin dose as needed to keep your kitty safe.
    Please ask for assistance if you are u sure what to do.

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

That's great that you started to test at home. I'll never understand why vets discourage it. If my son was diabetic I would never even consider injecting him without a test. You are doing the right thing. Maybe this pandemic e will get other people to try home testing as well as they don't have as easy access to their vet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.