911 Advise!!!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by minxkohl&mush, Aug 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minxkohl&mush

minxkohl&mush Member

Left Prozinc insulin out of refrigerator for about 6 hrs. Is it still good?
    Sould I call vet for new bottle? Just opener on 8/4/15.

Thanks!
    MINXKOHL & mush

2. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

It should be okay. Almost all of us have done that one time or another.

3. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

That is one of my biggest fears, that and the electricity going out......my vet tech told me when she was teaching me to shoot the insulin, after you fill the syringe, put the insulin back in the fridge before you shoot, for just that reason, you might forget to go back and put it in the fridge.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I had the same worry. I got one of these FRIO cooling pouches for Saoirse's insulin. Just soak the pouch in water and it uses evaporation to keep the contents cool. No worries about power cuts or old fridges that struggle in the summer months. Ideal for travelling, too.

Mogs

5. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

What great idea! I will have to look for one. Thx!!

Squalliesmom and Critter Mom like this.
  6. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

No problem - you just don't want to leave it out all the time. Yep, most of us have done that at some time....

Squalliesmom likes this.
  7. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

Insulins don't go immediately bad if you leave them out, although you may not get as long of life from them. Recently, in nursing homes/hospitals, some procedures have changed due to new research/mfg instructions and some facilities leave most insulin at room temperature as long as they are used within 28 days or per mfg instructions. So, you don't gotta throw that bottle away if it's been on the counter, just keep an eye out for decreased activity later when you are using it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.