After two weeks, his glucose levels are plunging

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by donaleen and Ozy, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donaleen and Ozy

donaleen and Ozy Well-Known Member

Ozy has been on Lantus for about two weeks. Until today, his glucose levels were mostly in the 300s... he started at 350 today and just keeps going down. Just now he was at 166. His SS is attached to my signature. He is feeling much better and I am happy to see the lower numbers but should I be worried at the sudden plunge? I am afraid to go to bed with this going on.

Please, can someone much more experienced look at his SS and tell me what you think?

thanks
    donaleen

2. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I think how wonderful.... Ozy has made it to blue.
    Can you set an alarm and get a test or two tonite?

3. donaleen and Ozy

Yes, I can do that. At the rate it is going down, I am afraid to go to bed. Though also elated. He definitely is feeling much much better.

thanks for responding
    donaleen

4. Donaleen,

This is actually a good thing. ;-) 166 is a perfectly safe and good number. It does look like it happened fairly early in the cycle at +2, but it isn't drastically lower than what it was at PMPS. It would be a good idea if you can get a test at +4 to see if Ozy drops more by then. Did he eat okay at shot time?

5. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

here is the how to handle low numbers link
    You will want to print a copy .... sometimes there might not be any one online, or a power outage or just a computer failure.... good to have that info for emergencies.....

for some reason, the board doesn't show me being here.

6. donaleen and Ozy

Yes, he ate fine, Carl. He loves to eat. And he feels great tonight.

Good idea Rhiannon. I will do that.

7. donaleen and Ozy

Down to 145 now. Not going to bed until he goes past the nadir.

8. donaleen and Ozy

9. donaleen and Ozy

10. You can give him a spoonful or two of the regular low-carb food if you want. That'll slow things down, but not cause his numbers to jump up either. 145 is good though. Really. :D

11. donaleen and Ozy

I agree that 145 is good. I wanted it to go down, just not all in one day. Thanks so much for being there.

12. You're very welcome!

You'll find that cats don't much care about what we'd like to see. :D It does look like the current dose decided to work really well today.

13. donaleen and Ozy

It's 147 now. Going to bed. Going to get up in the night and check, though. Thanks for the support.

14. Good numbers! You can leave a snack out for him. I suggested in your Lantus condo that a dose increase might make sense. You could ask for input in the AM to see what other think.

Sleep well!

15. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Well sometimes cats prefer the slip and method instead of taking stairs! Looks like your guy loves to slip and slide!

I know lower numbers are scary at first, hopefully this is just the start of more to come!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.