? Agave Syrup for hypo?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lori & Lulu, Apr 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lori & Lulu

Lori & Lulu Well-Known Member

I checked the honey I had on hand and it has crystallized (I never use it) so I threw it out; but I do have agave syrup on hand. Is agave syrup okay to use in the event of a dreaded hypoglycemic episode? It contains 32 g of carbohydrate per 30 mL, whereas honey contains 23 g of carb per 28 mL and corn syrup 22 g of carb per 28 mL. Just wanting to be prepared in case of emergency.

2. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I don't think it is a great choice. Its effects on cats it not really tested that much. It is also touted as a great sweeter for people who want a low Glycemic load (meaning it won't have as quick of an effect on the blood sugar). That is the exact opposite of what we are looking for when we are in a hypo situation.

http://www.allaboutagave.com/agave-nectar-and-the-glycemic-index.php

Lori & Lulu likes this.
  3. Lori & Lulu

Thanks, Melanie, I'm off to buy some corn syrup.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

All you needed to do was warm up the honey. It would have been OK.

5. Lori & Lulu

Doh, of course, if I'd been thinking. I'm so afraid of making a mistake with Lulu's diabetes and giving her the wrong stuff. So off I went to buy a new bottle of corn syrup.

Crazy cat lady, me. I kid you not, for Christmas my smart*ss daughter bought me a 'crazy cat lady action figurine' -- some old granny in a housecoat with lots and lots of cats. On second thought, not too far from the truth :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.