Ahhh! What is going on with my curve!?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kathy G, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Kathy G

Kathy G Member

What is up with my curve numbers? It's like I never gave any insulin but I'm 100% sure the shot was good. :(

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

That is VERY odd. You're sure it wasn't a fur shot? Any chance Olliver got any contraband of any type? Did anything stressful happen today?

3. Kathy G

Kathy G Member

I have a spot shaved between his shoulderblades. I'm sure the shot went in. No contraband as he's isolated in my bedroom.

4. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Wow. That is . . . unexpected! I have two thoughts: 1) the AMPS read low (either because of the typical variance or a wonky strip); and 2) Oliver went low over night, and this a a bounce from being in number to which he was unaccustomed.

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Those make sense to me.

6. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Wow...that is weird. Can you get a couple more tests today? You don't need to do a full curve, but maybe like a +4 and +7, or somewhere around those times, give or take an hour? If he went low the night before, then we need to catch him in a low number and lower the dose so he isn't getting too much. And if this is normal for him, we need to increase the dose. So more data is the next step in figuring out how to help him.

7. Kathy G

Kathy G Member

Ok, I got a +4 and +8 after his pm dose. His amps is 118.... (he's on a 2:30pm/2:30am schedule due to work).

8. Djamila

Forgive me if we've gone through all of this before - if we have you can just link the old thread and I can read it there....What treats are you feeding? Any other pets in the house that are eating different/higher carb food (cats have an amazing ability to go undetected while stealing food)? Any other health issues? Are you sure the AT2 has the right code for the test strips?

And given the AMPS you just got, have you fed yet? If not, hold off on feeding a little longer and see if you can get another test about 20-30 minutes after whatever time you got that 118.

9. Kathy G

Kathy G Member

He's isolated in my bedroom. He gets 1 can of Friskies pate before each shot. No dry and no access to contraband. No treats. I stalled after the 118 reading. Next test was 133 so I gave a token dose (0.25) and will keep testing today.

10. Kathy G

Kathy G Member

I just sent my first post-diagnosis spreadsheet to my vet for analysis. Anxious to hear what she has to say.

11. Djamila

Oliver certainly has an unusual cycle. It almost looks like a levemir cycle where the nadir is at the PS time instead of in the middle of the cycle. You may have to try giving a full dose on those lower PS numbers to avoid the inverted curve -- but if it comes to that, make sure to only do it when you're home and can monitor to make sure he doesn't just end up diving.

Kris & Teasel likes this.