Air Bubble Trouble Need Help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by arniesdad, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arniesdad

arniesdad Well-Known Member

For the past few weeks I have been having MAJOR air bubble issues when giving Arnie his insulin.
    I've been using the same type of syringes and insulin for a long time and have had problems once
    in a while with getting air bubbles in the needles but lately it has been just HORRIBLE! I have been
    wasting a LOT of insulin and syringes because when I go to fill the needle I get an air bubble inside
    and no matter how much I tap it the bubble will not go away. Since we can not shoot the insulin
    back into the cartridge I wind up throwing away 3 or 4 syringes with 4-5 units of insulin in each
    one before I can draw one without an air bubble. Does anyone else have this problem or know
    what causes this and how to avoid it? I can't keep on wasting insulin and syringes like this!!!!
    Any help or tips would be GREATLY appreciated!!

P.S. I use Lantus insulin and 31 gauge 5/16 (8 mm) needles with half unit markings that I
    buy from HOCKS.COM

2. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Sometimes a particular batch of syringes will do this, even though you have used the
    same brand before.

Here is a copy of a post I did a few weeks ago about air bubbles:

I used the GNP brand from Hocks.com for Smokey, bless his sweet little soul.

Here is a technique that might work for you for air bubbles:

Draw your insulin. If air bubbles, then draw in enough to compensate for the
    amount of air you think you have. You can draw in a tiny bit of extra insulin also.

(Some insulins you should never shoot back into the vial.)

If you have air bubbles, remove the syringe from the vial, and draw a little more air into the syringe.

Hold the syringe horizontal.

Now tap the barrel of the syringe in the area of the air bubble(s). Tap all around the barrel.

It needs good smart tap, and I found that using something like a ball-point pen, or
    the handle of a table knife did the job. Your finger does not give a sharp enough tap.

While continuing to tap, gradually change the position of the syringe so the needle is pointing
    up toward the ceiling. The idea is to get all the air to gather into one large bubble just below
    the needle.

Now push out the air and push the plunger to your dose.

3. Just-As-Appy

Just-As-Appy Member

I have had a few syringes in which the plunger didn't seem to be pushed all the way in to start with, so a bubble was inevitble. Now I push the plunger in really hard and then insert the needle into the insulin. At worst, it makes the bubble smaller.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.