Albert doing well, but persnickety about food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Heather & Seasaidh (GA), Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heather & Seasaidh (GA)

Heather & Seasaidh (GA) Member

DCIN foster Albert needs a furever home; read his blog here: http://fdmb-cin.blogspot.com/2012/04/albert.html

Albert has been with me for a week now and his neuropathy has greatly improved. I took him outside yesterday on a harness and leash for a very short walk. He got scared and wanted to come back inside. It was so nice out, though, but it still gets cold in the nighttime so I don't want to take the storm windows down yet. I thought he would like some fresh air. It went ok, and I got to see him really walk -- he hustled back towards the house with no problem. Here is the one pic that I got of him out there. Notice his hind legs looking like they're prepared to run!
    [​IMG]

Later on, I found him sitting on a bureau in his bedroom that he had been trying to climb onto for awhile with no success.
    [​IMG]
    I kept finding the basket and the fake flowers on the floor everytime I went in to see him. But this time he was sitting next to it!

He hasn't had a shot (ProZinc) in several days because his BG has been in the 120-130 range with no dry food. He really wants the dry food in a bad way. I'm not giving in, though. He also loves pill pockets (which I've been giving him his Methyl B12 in) and tuna juice. I ran out of tuna so I've got to go to the store this afternoon and get some more. I've tried parmesan cheese, and Forti Flora on top of his wet food, but he won't touch either. It doesn't matter what kind of wet food I offer him; he won't touch it unless it's tuna (meant for humans). Or at least has the tuna juice on top. I gave him some tuna flakes when he first came here and he ate that, but now he won't touch it.

Is there some place where I can buy just tuna juice (and not the tuna)? If I can get him eating regularly on wet food I was thinking of giving him a tiny dose of insulin and closely monitoring him. But right now he's just too persnickety and won't touch anything until he gets his tuna. Sigh...

Yesterday I had to help my mother do her taxes and I was away from him for a few hours. When I came back he meowed at me as if to say, "where've you been?!" It was the first time I've heard him meow! I gave him lots of affection and told him I was sorry. He is such a sweet kitty. I've got my hands full already and I can't adopt this sweetheart, but he will be someone's sunshine in his furever home.

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Heather you are an angel. Albert is one lucky kitty. Sending prayers Albert finds his forever home.
    j.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have never hear of tuna juice being sold but you can buy clam juice. How much is Albert eating each day? He needs about 5.5 or 6 oz can a day. Have you considered assist/syringe feeding Albert? I have three cats that I have to syringe feed frequently to ensure they eat enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.