Alice 11/4 - not letting me test :( / AMPS pink, yellow day

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AliceMeowliss (GA), Nov 4, 2019.

1. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-research-today-and-adorable-cat-naps.221240/

I gave the roomie $5 to stay up and do feedings but I have this feeling like she didn’t get a late enough meal because she is so hungry she won’t let me test. I finally had to feed her first.

She’s trying to bite and smack me a little which is her warning system that she really will if I continue. So finally I decided to feed her. She won’t sit still for a shot this hungry either. I’m going to have to do things all wrong, test her after she eats with the food influence, before shooting. Ugh.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  2. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Alice, u be good and let mom test and shoot u
    Have a great day

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  3. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

How soon after she ate did you get a that test in?
    If you did it straight away the food won't have got into her system yet.

George sometimes got like that if he was really hungry. Sometimes a few treats calmed him down enough to stop him fidgeting. I also usually shot him when he was eating, usually he was so hungry he wouldn't look up from the bowl

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I think at this point you know Alice well enough that you don't really have to worry about getting a PS test without the influence of food. You've done enough testing that you should have a pretty good idea of when it would be safe to give insulin (food or not)

You're such a great caretaker for Alice.

6. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Alice was biting during test time.

Ming does that sometimes. I know it's not good to scruff, but I scruff him and tell him to calm down. I've even gone as far as hissing at him LOL! He and I have an interesting relationship... I wouldn't recommend doing this though unless it's a situation like a dangerous low and testing means life or death. I think it might make some cats not like you and create a bad experience with testing.

7. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

8. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Thanks all! It was as soon as I could get her to allow it. She kept demanding more food until she was satisfied. She did not get her last meal as late as I had tried to arrange, last night, so I imagine she was just super super super hungry.

She ended up starting in pink, then some yellows.

@Chris & China (GA) I agree I’ve been doing it awhile and would know if she was safe or how to deal with it if her shot did bring her too low. But I also don’t want to set a poor example for someone newer, definitely!

9. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Also, I know the SS says a possible FS the other day but I’ve held the 1.25 for more than 6 cycles, is it a good time to go ahead and bring her back to 1.5u? I swear her perfect dose is really between these two!

10. Chris & China (GA)

If you do a possible FS or a skip, the 6 cycle "clock" starts over so it's only been 4 cycles so far.

11. AliceMeowliss (GA)

I know but I’m not really sure if it was a FS or not, and she was just starting to do well on 1.5 when I left. Should I give it another day? She’s running over renal threshold. :\

12. Chris & China (GA)

how about we split the difference? Give 1.25 tonight and if nothing happens tonight, go to 1.5 in the morning?

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Have you thought about a timed feeder? If you're concerned about the timing of a meal, it may be a better way than relying on someone to feed Alice so she doesn't want to chew off your arm in the morning.

14. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Well yes I have thought about them but we just can’t afford that right now, unfortunately. Normally I feed her (and everyone else) when I get up throughout the night but I needed a break a couple nights ago to take a medicine that could keep me from waking up. Maybe I should try sleeping from something like 10 or 11pm--to 3am instead of sleeping after midnight, so I could be up to do a later feed.

15. AliceMeowliss (GA)

I hadn’t checked this when I was up this morning, but at this point I can see it’s time to increase! Today started mid pink and +6 is a high yellow so. This isn’t gonna cut it. She might feel less cranky and like she is starving too if her sugar cane down! Maybe less irritability then.

1.5u increase will be tonight. :)

LizzieInTexas likes this.