Alice 6/19 PMPS 171 dose reduction earned / day 7 post-surgery: biopsy results in - adenocarcinoma

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AliceMeowliss (GA), Jun 19, 2019.

1. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

2. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

We are with ya darlin'. Hoping for the very best news. :)

5. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Adenocarcinoma, intermediate (grade 2)
    Margins of tumor removal looked cancer free
    Potential for metastasis
    Median survival time 14 months

So yes, she has breast cancer.

There are no board-certified veterinary oncologists in my area, not sure if at OSU or Kansas State maybe or Texas. (Would not be able to afford oncologist anyway.)

Ideally I would like to know if it has spread, but my vet said that would likely require fine needle aspiration of internal lymph nodes which she would not be comfortable with doing. It sounds invasive.

Now that she has been spayed, tumor growth could be slowed because it was probably hormone-fed, anyway.

So that’s where we are.

6. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Ah Cassandra. Not the results we hoped for, but Margins of tumor removal looked cancer free is good news.
    Potential for metastasis Potential means yes, there is a chancel But it's not written in stone that metastasis will happen, or has happened.

Just take care of Alice and get her recovered from this surgery, treat her diabetes and love the heck out of her (which I know you do). We all live on edge of "what if", but that shouldn't overshadow what we have right now. Take care of yourself too, Alice and the other furry critters need you. :bighug::)

7. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

8. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Not the diagnosis you were looking for but those clear margins means that all the tumor was removed. First good step. Potential just means potential. Did she have all the mammary glands removed?

Spaying plays a big part in all this. Some breast cancers use the female hormone as food - so no hormone - they end up starving.

My pup had the same thing. We did do chemo for her, which she handled very well. Did 4 rounds every 21 days. However we ended up doing a second surgery about 2 years after chemo because we didn't remove all the mammary tissue the first time and she got it in the remaining ones. That is the one thing I would of done differently. Once surgery, one recovery. She lived another 4 years and we finally said goodbye due to dementia not cancer. :(

Sending some very big anti-cancer vines to Alice.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. AliceMeowliss (GA)

She did not. And I had read a Cornell article recommending the whole side be removed and that 85% of mammary rumors were malignant.

So I am wondering if we should look into having the rest removed on both sides?

Yes, and this is a huge part of why we went ahead and spayed her at the same time. I noticed that from when I found it at the end of December, until she was regulated better on Lantus and gaining weight and no longer so emaciated, it did not really seem to grow. Growth happened within the past month and a half I would say.

I would look into chemo but I don’t know that there is someone who can handle her treatment close enough, and she is already getting DCIN help so budgetary concerns are pretty big.

Thank you for your comments and sharing your experience. So glad your pup had you to care for her. We all know, not everyone would go so far.

10. AliceMeowliss (GA)

There was an 85% chance it would be cancerous and I really do feel like at the least my persistence has given her a better opportunity. Good margins are good margins and what I would have preferred if it were my own body. She looks great today. +2 was good.... fur looks very clean. Stitches come out in one more week. Two episodes of diarrhea from yesyerday’s gravy food bump, but on the bright side she thinks pumpkin is great. Her FD is looking beautifully regulated compared to the way she came into it all. So whatever helps keep her as healthy and happy as long as she can get, I am for, but I will not put her through any difficult treatments that will not make her quality of life relative to length of life worth the pain and such.

11. AliceMeowliss (GA)

So I told my vet as long as she makes it to her thirteenth birthday next month I will be so happy. And I suspect she will be fine for longer than that.

12. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Cassandra, what shocking and upsetting news.

I really do think for the most part it is positive though. The word "potential" says it all. Fingers crossed that this is something you can put behind you, and that Alice has many good years left :)

:bighug:

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  13. AliceMeowliss (GA)

I think what I need to know now is what I do to keep checks on if it comes back. Will be researching later when I have the emotional energy. There has been a lot of loss in my life and the lives of some people I am very close with, over the past year and a half. I expected it to be malignant but I am stunned also.

So I wonder if I should do +4, +5, or +6 check? LC today, blues at PS and +2....

14. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I wouldn't unless more lumps show up. She is healing now. When or if it reoccur ...I would discuss it as an option with your vet. I did...indicated I didn't want to be back again for another such evasive surgery.

There is that balance to achieve...my other pup I didn't even try when we discovered her cancer. The condition she was in, the type of cancer, types of treatment available and the chances of success.

You will make the right choice as it will be from the heart.:bighug:

15. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

While the first choice would be chemo injections for most intermediate cell , there are other options that are pills. I would call one of the vet schools for a consult. I know Cornell will do a phone constant you could go over all options. :bighug:

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  16. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Alice, I am sorry you got this news :( but it is nice to hear that they got good margins. If you decide to have the discussion about having the rest removed on both sides, that conversation may be helpful. You may go in leaning one way & after talking about it in greater detail with your vets, decide the other way. I always preface these convos with my vet with the importance of quality of life & that I'm ok letting things be if the cons outweigh pros--& that has included decisions about testing, surgeries, treatments. As Tracey said, you will know in your heart what to do but may need to have the convo to know.
    Fortunately, our felines don't get emotionally hit with this info & that plays to their favor. I love that your spirit is hopeful.....that will make a huge difference.

Thoughts are with you. I hope you find some way to take care of you for a moment. The caretakers forget about that all too often. We are at our best to take care of others, including our fur babies when we do so :bighug:

AliceMeowliss (GA) and tiffmaxee like this.
  17. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

LOVE that Cornell Feline Consult Line!

#800-548-8937
    You call Monday, Wed or Fri between 10am & 12pm. There is a small fee & they have you email the records to them. The vet calls back typically between 2&4pm but if there is a different time they will let you know that.

18. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Thank you for the info, that’s helpful!!! I’ll have to find out about the fee first, Alice gets DCIN help and we barely keep her in wet food.

19. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

$55 & they typically do 1 free follow up call

20. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Histopathology report

Attached Files:

21. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Thanks that is steep for now but I will keep it in mind for future.

Alice goes back next Wednesday to have stitches removed, so that will be a chance to visit and discuss and I asked my vet to write up some treatment plans and recs.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  22. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Absolutely. And your vet know Alice well & thats important :)! Keep that faith in the meantime & please do something for yourself today...even if its something like enjoying a cup of tea :coffee: or just sitting outside if its nice.

23. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry, but the clean margins are good. Remember Alice doesn't know about the diagnosis. She is still the same, loving kitty. I've had 4 cats with cancer and have learned to just take things one day at a time and try not to worry about the future. It's not always easy, but make the most of each day. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

24. AliceMeowliss (GA)

25. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

She looks really good, bright & alert :). Such a sweet face!

26. AliceMeowliss (GA)

I’m going to move her room again soon so we can snuggle in bed like we used to. Everything got rearranged last year when the bunnies died and we took on a boarder for a bit. We used to spoon every night. It’s a task though as I need to really clean twelve different areas first. :p

She does look really, really well, bright. Her numbers have been lower since surgery. She is regulating more. I know there is hope if nothing else for more good days. Sometimes it’s awfully tiring though and I wish it could get better and not just be “manageable”.....!

Susan&Felix(GA) likes this.
  27. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

She’s adorable! I’m so sorry about the diagnosis, but as the others have said, the clean margins is a positive. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: for you and lots of scritches for sweet Alice

28. AliceMeowliss (GA)

!!!!!!
    +6 43!!!
    Should’ve checked sooner! Feeding HC 20%. Recheck when?

Eta added a little pumpkin as gravies seem to upset her a bit.

29. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Has she earned a reduction yet? She had greens propped by MC the other cycle.....

30. carfurby (GA)

I'd test again now and see if she's come up. She earned a reduction with the 43. I'm logging off to leave work and drive home. I'll check in once I get home.

31. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Ah Cassandra, I'm sorry to hear this, but at least you've got positive news: first the tumor was removed and like everybody else said, "potential" only means there is a possibility but nothing SURE!! Also important, she is spayed now and being a little OLD lady, everything is slower!

She doesn't know she was sick but she must really feel better now than not long ago, maybe like when she was a kitten! Just see her like your lovely recovering little girl, they feel our vibes! Keep spoiling her and loving her like you do and Alice could still live many many more years with you! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

AliceMeowliss (GA) and AmandaE like this.
  32. carfurby (GA)

Did you get another test?

33. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Yes. Sorry in between naps. Got her up to 71 w/20%, she is back down to 51, so more gravy being given. Wondering if I will even be able to shoot tonight? But should I tell the other human no more than 3.75u now?

34. carfurby (GA)

3.75 units is the new dose. I hope she comes up enough for you to shoot tonight. I'm glad you got some nap time in.

35. AliceMeowliss (GA)

+10 is 97, of course that is HC influenced but it’s a higher jump this time than earlier when she was low. I am not moving up her shot time at all either tonight. I was going to cycle back another 15 minutes but it can wait. :)

Hopefully can shoot something tonight. She’s pretty happy right now.

36. AliceMeowliss (GA)

PMPS 171, dose reduction was earned so we are now at 3.75u

Cleaned her room. She’s also still having a bit of diarrhea but again, she has been having gravy.

Her ear looks cranky. A lot of pokes lately.

37. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

That's where we are, too--you expressed it very well.:(:bighug:

That's because she heard there's going to be bedtime spooning!

Congratulations on the reduction. Hope you guys get a poke break.

38. AliceMeowliss (GA)

+2 is 163–barely a change. LC fed only. So I am going to take a break/attempt a nap and recheck at +6.

We did a short burst of red dot play and I had her running for a second. Just a second, not too much. And she wore out a little after a minute and was just ready to sit and watch it and maaaayyyybe move her head. She’s purry and fluffy and her white fur spots look whiter and brighter. Her eyes are brighter. Soooo precious. I will be glad when her belly isn’t so fragile though!

39. AliceMeowliss (GA)

+4 116 (I only got up because she was crying about it :b)

40. AliceMeowliss (GA)

+6 122..... sleeeeep time for real. :)

41. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm so sorry that the news wasn't what you were hoping for. Alice, however, doesn't know there's anything wrong. She's the same sweet girl no matter what!

FWIW, the vet school at OSU is one of the top 5 in the country (along with others like Cornell and UC-Davis). They have a strong oncology program.