Alice 7/21 AMPS 122 +3 154 +6 168 / PMPS 262 +3 272

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AliceMeowliss (GA), Jul 21, 2019.

1. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

yesterday was smooth, and drumroll, I got about 6 hours of solid, uninterrupted, heavy sleep! Take that, sleep deprivation!!!!

Alice is purry and happy this morning. She ate well. Shot was normal. I expect action on this cycle or the next one, per her habits lately.

Hope all your sweet kitties are safe today. <3

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Yay for sleep! Nice to hear Alice is feeling good. Surf safely today Alice.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  3. AliceMeowliss (GA)

I think I have a general question today, as I have been wondering for quite some time:

FD puts cats at increased risk for kidney disease, is that correct?
    If so, are there things I can do besides of course regulating her diabetes, that would descrease her chances of having kidney involvement later?
    In fact, what about the civvies, what reduces their chances?
    I realize this could be a “main health” topic. Maybe. But I’m sticking here today.

I’d be interested in learning things but it’s not emergency learnings so it can wait, for now.

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Sleep is so wonderfull. Glad Alice is happy.

5. AliceMeowliss (GA)

There clearly will not be The Action happening this cycle which I previously spoke of. :p haha.
    That’s okay though. I can rest and clean house instead of worry and poke!

6. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing last night. I was planning to ask my vet what preventative measures I could take.

This is what I know so far (haven't spoken to vet yet): Kitties that come in for CRF get phos-bind in their diets and I know CKD kitties here eat low phosphorus foods. They also get SQ fluids at home either weekly or daily in extreme cases. I wouldn't do SQ fluids unless you get an ok from the vet because too much fluid can cause heart issues.

But I'll let you know today once I speak to my vet and I'm sure someone will come along with some answers too!

7. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

8. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

My Ravan developed Kidney disease. He was in high BG for a long time. I'll always wonder if that might have damaged his kidneys. I believe 200 is considered Renal threshold.
    Although Ravan never ate dry food,he was raised on Raw I still would tell people not to feed any dry food to any cat. I've read many articles about how bad dry food is for a cat.
    Low Phosphorus is good also. Ravan is at stage 2 so he doesn't need SQ fluids.( He drinks a LOT of water. )
    upload_2019-7-21_11-50-20.jpeg

9. AliceMeowliss (GA)

So do you know of any preventative measures now, in particular while those high BGLs can maybe cause damage to kidneys over time? For example, for a cat without any kidney issues at this time, but with FD, does it help their kidneys to have increased fluids via oral intake (not suggesting SQ fluids without medical need)? Or does that.... just make their kidneys work harder?

Maybe I need a better primer on kidneys. :p

My mother’s father died of kidney failure when I was a baby, and she spent her teen years with him on dialysis. I always thought I was told an infection somehow caused the damage, strep or something. I have no clue if that is accurate!

What are the cheaper end brands that aren’t as high in phosphorous, I wonder? I see mention that FF is a little high..... it contains fish and I think it bothers Alice’s tummy maybe so we ruled it out mostly except for the high gravy stuff.

/

We are sleepy, it’s nap time, +6 had her climb just slightly, she’s furry and purry. Zzzz. <3

10. AliceMeowliss (GA)

She has been climbing all day and now into yellows. What is wrong, I wonder? Insulin gone bad???

11. JoyBee&Ravan

I wish I had been more aggressive in keeping his Bg lower. I should have increased & not been afraid of the "too low" bg so much.

Dr. Pierson's' Food Chart Lists most of the canned food & the Carbs & Phosphorus. I keep it below 200 & if I give FF when he drops low I add Phosphorus Binder to it. I do not feed fish.The ocean is so polluted Fish is not good for us or our kitties.Dr Pierson does not recommend feeding Fish.

They already add fish to nearly every canned cat food. Our cats get addicted to it. Not good.

12. JoyBee&Ravan

In 18 months I've never had the insulin go "bad" I use it to the last drop. Alice may just need a bit more time for her body to get accustomed to this dose

13. AliceMeowliss (GA)

Fish don’t even really seem natural for domesticated cats, generally, either. I was told a long time ago most cats are generally allergic/intolerant of fish, to varying degrees, except maybe salmon. Either way.... it doesn’t do her favors! The friskies chicken and liver isn’t perfect for her either but I can’t fogure out what else. She LOVES her chicken Sheba LC snacks, but those have to be given with a little pumpkin, too much and she doesn’t break it all down........

14. AliceMeowliss (GA)

I have seen some efficacy differences between pens though, I think......

15. AliceMeowliss (GA)

I’m going to join little miss in bed, goodnight sweet cat world.
    C5A94993-C370-4973-82EB-09F2C1DF4306.jpeg 7EA333CA-4FCE-408D-A16E-B9A2250D41C8.jpeg

<3 zzzzzzz......