Alice 8/11 AMPS 101 +3 119 +6 86, fighting to get pokes in now :( / PMPS 204 +4 219

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AliceMeowliss (GA), Aug 11, 2019.

1. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

yesterday

Okay getting +6 just now was seriously hard. She must be hurting a lot I feel like, because she never used to protest so much. I had to fight with her to get blood and it ended up making it a much worse experience, and a longer one, for both of us. Sigh. I don’t mind if it is hard, but I feel like I am causing her such horrible discomfort from her responses lately. :(

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Alice is fighting you so much. I always try to make sure I don't hit the exact same spot on Furball's ear when I test. I can only test one ear so it's not easy to move around, but I try. Make sure you give Alice loving after each test. That always helps with Furball. :bighug::bighug:

3. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

I switch between the outer and inner ear now, that gives me more room to poke.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  4. AliceMeowliss (GA)

I was not under the impression the that the inner portion of the ear was very good for pokies, then again I’ve seen my vet go straight for a vein on the inner part with a needle......... Hmmm.

I try to more around too but how much can one move when you have this small space and test a minimum of 4-6 times a day, sometimes it was as much as 18 in a day, I think. I have been meaning for a long time to take a good picture of her torn ear with a lot of light because her veins should be very apparent, and perhaps I could post a photo and get some suggestions on where else I could try to test sometimes, to give the regular ear a break at least!!!!

But she is also still a little needle phobic with the shot too, lately. You’re right, maybe she needs more loving and snuggles and treats and so on. More positive reinforcement! :)

Crista & Ming likes this.
  5. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that someone was taking BGs from their cat's paws because it was not possible for them to prick the ear. I can't imagine poking the paw :nailbiting: but maybe someone can talk about that in case Alice's ears get really sore and painful that could be your last resort.

6. AliceMeowliss (GA)

I read more than once that paw pads were an alternate site one could test from, and that is was either somewhat antiquated or considered more painful or thought of as a last resort, something like that.... I want to cause her less pain though, ideally. I wonder if I could encourage a few extra capillary sites to develop on her chipped ear if I went back to a larger gauge and started over sort of there..... if that even makes sense. I’m tired. :p

Fortunately her +4 is up slightly from PS, flat yellow night, bedtime it is! I just mushed up a nice bowl of friskies and pumpkin and water for Little Miss (Alice). Feed the Ginger Boys and the outside girl and it’s........ Zzzzzzzz :cat:

7. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

I tried because of Ti-Mousse's ears problems (frozen and parts missing) but once only :woot::woot::woot::woot:.. he's such an easy kitty but not for that....! Test at your own risk!:)

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  8. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

No idea if this could help at all but... I don't use neosporin, it bothered Figaro. I found a product called vetericyn, they sell a spray solution that I put on a q-tip and then apply to the whole edge of the ear, after our last test of the day, and sometimes mid-day if there are more pokes than usual. He doesn't mind it and I imagine it must be cooling, at least. I got it on amazon.

Also... I have started using one ear per day. Today was the right ear, tomorrow will be the left ear. I can remember better where I poked and i figure it might allow the ear to heal quicker to not get handled for a full 24 hours.

I say all this, but treats and loving are totally what keep Fig coming back to his test table :p

9. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

With Ti-Mousse his ear has to be very warm, which allows blood to circulate easily and massaging the ear will take blood toward poking ! I switch sides and use Neosporin pain relief; for him it did well! Not easy....! :)

10. AliceMeowliss (GA)

I would love to see what you have to work with on his ear situation, one of these days! I can completely tell the difference between how easily Alice bleeds when ears are warm versus cool, but I can coax blood regardless, and she also doesn’t seem to appreciate me doing anything to warm them up extra in the first place. This means I end up not taking as much time to warm her ears, and I can go back to working on that. It seems like perhaps some more preferable habits were shed as I became more comfortable and capable. I could go back to the little warming sock and more rubbing of the ears if she will tolerate it!
    I don’t always see a difference but this evening I noticed the neosporin actually did seem to offer a bit of pain relief at +4. :)

I thought I told myself I would sleep. :p