Allergies

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicole & Baby, Nov 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hi, Baby is itching/chewing at her tail and there is now hair loss. I have her on 5mg of Zyrtec & am putting Quadritop ointment on it.

Any other ideas?

2. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Hi Nicole - poor Baby! Sorry she is going through this.

No suggestions at the moment - just a few questions:

1. Is she chewing the whole tail, or maybe just at a the base?
    2. How long has she been doing this?
    3. Any redness, flaking skin, discoloration on the skin where she is chewing?
    4. Does she go outside at all?
    5. How long has she been on Zyrtec and Quadritop?
    6. Any litter changes or other changes to the household?
    7. Any dietary changes recently?

Just thinking the answers to these questions might get someone closer to an answer.

SpecklesandMe likes this.
  3. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

Omega-3 oil can help with allergy and skin issues. Is there any way she could have fleas?
    I'm not sure about this, but you could ask your vet about using Benadryl cream or maybe the vet can give you a topical antihistamine.

4. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hi ... thank yoU both for your replies!!!

Re: 1. Is she chewing the whole tail, or maybe just at a the base? in the middle of the tail (1/2 way down)
    2. How long has she been doing this? a few days
    3. Any redness, flaking skin, discoloration on the skin where she is chewing? no
    4. Does she go outside at all? on my patio (does not free roam - we live in Florida & it is still steamy hot - she does have environmental allergies)
    5. How long has she been on Zyrtec and Quadritop? as needed, about a day
    6. Any litter changes or other changes to the household? no
    7. Any dietary changes recently? no

I contacted our Vet and he sold me spray (Genta Spray Topical Spray) which he said would work better. He said Fleas are really bad in South Florida this year and to check again for fleas.

I appreciate you both, thank you!!! :bighug:

5. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Hope the Genta Spray works, being itchy is miserable, poor Baby. As a temporary fix you can break open a vitamin E gelcap and apply it topically to the site, but you should check with your vet before administering any topical treatment. Hope Baby feels better soon! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.