Allergy Medication

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kate and Kloever, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kate and Kloever

Kate and Kloever Member

Hi ALL!!! Was wondering if anyone has given their sugar babies any allergy medication that doesn't raise BG? Any info would be greatly appreciated! :D

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Kate,

I treat Saoirse with Piriton. It hasn't affected her BGs adversely. (Dose 1/4 of a 4mg tablet BID for a 10lb cat - prescribed by our vet.) Even though it's an OTC medication, if you are interested in giving it to Kloever you should speak with your vet first to see if it is suitable for her.

Mogs

Kate and Kloever likes this.
  3. Kate and Kloever

Kate and Kloever Member

Thanks!!! I will definitely check with my Vet! :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I've used Chlor-trimeton on China without any problems...1/2 of a 4mg tab for her asthma...Also OTC

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Active ingredient of Piriton is chlorphenamine maleate

6. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Just be careful when using Piriton/chlorphenamine maleate because it can have a dehydrating effect on the cat.

Kate and Kloever and Critter Mom like this.
  7. Kate and Kloever

Kate and Kloever Member

Thanks everyone!!!! :D

8. Kate and Kloever

Kate and Kloever Member

Any of you tried zyrtec or generic?

9. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

10. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

I had been using chlorphenamine maleate on my cat but I thought it was making him sleepy - so I switched to zyrtec 5 mg/twice a day - I used that for at least 6 months and worked like a charm until very lately - it seemed to be having less of an effect so I switched back to chlorphenamine maleate. My vet said you can also use loratadine (Claritin) but I haven't done that.

11. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

This makes perfect sense. Chlorphenamine maleate (and diphenhydramine) are first generation antihistamines, meaning that they usually can cross the blood-brain barrier (that's why they make you/your cat sleepy). Zyrtec is a 2nd-generation antihistamine (doesn't cross blood-brain barrier as much), but my experience has been you have to build up a certain load of it before it starts working; so if you don't take it every single day, it's less effective when you do take it. I do think it might start to work less well if you take it long-term though, but I don't have evidence to back that up.
    Loratidine is generally less strong compared to cetirizine (aka, Zyrtec); so I'd be surprised if that worked if the cetirizine doesn't... but there's probably only one way to know for sure!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  12. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Zyrtec was really working well, and for some reason, during the height of fall hay fever season, my cat was very stuffed up again. Switched to chlorpheniramine a few days ago, and there is marked improvement ---maybe I'll just switch them out every couple of months

13. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

Your cat sounds like me! This is basically my regimen too. LOL

14. Misterbeesmom

Misterbeesmom Well-Known Member

is zyrtec safe to give long term? why am i thinking i saw somewhere it shouldnt be?
    mr b has liver issues. would it be safe?

15. Carol & Murphy (GA)

My cat also has liver issues - I specifically asked my vet if it is safe long term and she told me yes, but you should check with your vet regarding Mr. Biddles

Misterbeesmom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.