Almost 4 days no insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by StevenJ, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevenJ

StevenJ New Member

6 y/o tabby.

2 year diabetic currently on 1U lantus b.i.d.
    I went on vacation and was gone for just under 4 days and my mother in law was going to care for the kitty but he ran away and she was unable to catch him and would never come near her. When I came home unknown food intake and no insulin for over 3 days, he was obviously very sick. His stomach was sucked in (similar to when he was diagnosed with diabetes).
    I gave him 1 unit last night and he ate a little, his glucose was 319
    This morning he still has an unsteady gate, crying a lot and his glucose was 240. He is eating a little.

I'm at work. I think (hope) he just needs to eat food and is starving. I have told my wife to let him eat whatever(I dont normally let him eat dry food or gravy food) and gave him 1 unit lantus.

What are the biggest potential problems after they go without insulin?
    What are some good steps to take? I will take him to the vet if there isnt a marked improvement after getting his insulin back going for a day or so... but wondering steps before that.

Thanks

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

I would suggest a visit to the vet because there is no way to know how serious the situation is; there may be ketones involved, dehydration, etc. At the very least you need to get food and water into him and test his urine for ketones...high blood glucose levels can lead to inappetance so that may be part of the problem....

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

you need to test for ketones. do you know about that and how to do that?

i actually would consider a sooner vet appt as they can speed up his rehydration, etc....

4. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I'd go the vet route too, check for ketones and also do bloodwork that would cover electrolytes, kidneys, everything right now, just to be safe. Unsteady gate could be a result of a few different things and if it were my cat I would want to get all the information and then go from there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.