ALMOST got to test her BG :/

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SuziB, Jan 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuziB

SuziB Member

Hi folks!

I guess I’m feeling a bit like a failure, even though many of you have said it can take time to learn to test BG. I have tried three times now to get a blood sample, and was ALMOST successful on my last try...I actually had a drop of blood that I could see, but forgot to put supplies by my right hand (left was holding her ear and head), and by the time I reached across her to grab the meter, she wiggled free just enough to shake her head - and there went my blood drop.

I have been trying to test when I get home from work and again before her dinner/insulin shot. I think the problem with the dinner test is that she’s just too hungry and screams at me for food. Tonight, I tried to take blood while she was eating, but she got pretty mad! I’m also trying to get weight back on her, so I don’t want her to associate eating with anything negative.

The good news is that she seems to be doing really well. Even though it’s only about 2 weeks since she was diagnosed, she is eating well, looks to be gaining weight, and seems playful and happy. I hope to get to spend more time this weekend learning to test her BG and getting a spreadsheet up. I feel bad that I’m just winging it and am not even sure how effective the insulin is. Wishing I had a more clear picture and totally jealous of the newbies who are already testing and running curves!

2. SuziB

SuziB Member

Finished writing my post, kitty was sleeping peacefully near me, so I decided to give it another try. She didn’t mind the poke, but I bungled getting the strip pushed in the meter and accidentally swiped the (good sized!) drop of blood with the cotton pad I had inside her ear, before the meter was ready. Ugh! Biffed another attempt :mad:

3. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

LOL--we all start this way!! Your doing great.
    We have been testing about 3 years I think and it does seem lo lessen the poke if I put a think layer of animal scents ointment from young living (the bottle lasts forever) I also use a needle not a lancet and just graze the tip of the ear. Also if you have a drop and you need to grab something you can put the drop on your finger and test it.
    So glad kitty is doing well!
    side note the ointment heals the ear too--Dre has no poke marks--his er looks perfect.

https://www.youngliving.com/en_US/products/animal-scents-ointment

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Heating the ear before poking makes it bleed a lot easier.

5. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Hang in there just keep trying, we all started just like you, with a lot of failed attempts, but eventually you will have your good test (it feels awesome when it happens), actually the first time I actually got a good drop I punctured his ear from one side to another and made a big hole ( I thought I was going to have to buy him an earing to cover the mess) so you are already doing it better than some of us at least better than me

6. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Sounds like you’re getting blood with no issue. Try scooping it onto your thumb or fingernail before she gets away from you, then you have all the time in the world to get the strip to the blood :)

JanetNJ likes this.
  7. Erin & Scott

Erin & Scott Member

Wow, your experience sounds almost exactly like my first several attempts! Benny is a champion head-shaker, so I've learned how to hold him firmly and get it done quickly! So don't sweat it - no one is an expert on their first try, and before long it will become a ho-hum routine for both of you.

8. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

I saw the other stuff that YL makes for animals, but they don’t explain what it’s for. Do you know?

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  9. jayla-n-Drevon

HI-Yes I am actually a distributer under my vet.
    I think they don't list what it does because it can be used for so many things. My favorite is tender tush which was originally made for scars but found it to be so effective for babies -- it is awesome . I prefer the animal scents for the ear because it is a bit thicker and seems to help the prick a bit more than TT. I use many of the oils at home and at my grooming salon. Some cats are very offended by the scents but some love it (I have 1 of each)
    I diffuse them at home and in the shop.
    The ointments are anti bacterial -fungal and viral and they are safe.

10. sherrib

Which ones are good for stress ( the ones for animals)? I have tons of YL oils, used to use my diffuser every night until I found out that some oils aren't food for cats/dogs to breath and I've gotten to lazy. I have to use bottle water because my tap water is bad! Have to soak stuff in vinegar to get all the calcium and lime built up off

11. jayla-n-Drevon

Hi
    I like to diffuse the peace and calming 1 and 2- For a stressed or anxious cat I rub it down the cats body starting a the shoulders and/or in between the front legs. I only use 1 drop when applying it on the body until it is practically dry.. You can even put a drop on a cotton ball and put it where kitty sleeps.

sacred mountain and sandalwood has a great smell in the diffuser-many cats respond to frankincense, myrrh and valor.

If I am unsure of which to use I lay them out on the floor with the top on and whichever they tend to be most interested is the one I use and it can change rom day to day.
    It is important to remember their senses are much better than ours and less is more.

Tea Tree and the oils in that family can be dangerous for cats. Other than that I (and my vet) uses many of them-some like peppermint might be too strong of a smell but if the cat or dog has a fever it can help regulate body temp. I would dilute it and apply on paws.

If the cat is highly sensitive you can dilute any of them as needed. Knowing how cats lick themselves it is assuring to know it won't hurt them.

RC and Raven are amazing for upper resp issues between front legs so they get the benefit as they breathe in.
    You can look it up online from the YL site for a description of each of them if you want to know more.
    FYI They have a new amazing diffuser I love it.

https://www.youngliving.com/en_US/products/desert-mist-diffuser

12. sherrib

Do you have pictures to show me where to apply it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.