Aloha from Hawaii!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shadow's Mom, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow's Mom

Shadow's Mom New Member

Aloha Everyone!

Nice to have a place to go for support and encouragement...:bighug:

My 12 year old kitty (now 13 years old) was diagnosed with diabetes in December 2014...started on 1cc insulin, then up to 2cc, back down to 1.5cc...at the vet now for a glucose check...may be able to either lower dosage or be taken off completely. Praying for the latter, but will do whatever I need to do to ensure that he remains happy & healthy.

His previous vet wanted to try all sorts of things before treating him...switching to a prescription food, pills (which she even said might not work)...decided to go back to the vet that I used to go to for my other kitties (long story why I didn't go to him upon moving back in the first place). He ran a bunch of tests to confirm that Shadow was indeed diabetic and immediately prescribed a low dose of insulin to start. Fast forward 6 months later, my kitty is doing great...slimmed down, shiny coat, loves the addition of wet food to his RD kibble diet and seems very content to be the center of my attention. He lost his sister in December 2013...one year and a day before his diagnosis.

Anyway, that's my story in a nutshell...looking forward to sharing many more.

Shadow's Mom

2. Lori & Lulu

Lori & Lulu Well-Known Member

Welcome, Shadow's Mom, this is a great place for anyone owned by a diabetic cat. I have learned so much from the people on this forum and, as a result, my Lulu is doing great. You'll get lots of helpful suggestions here!

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work.
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as many Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info. If already on insulin, you must be home testing before changing the diet.
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir.
    - And home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.