Alpha Track dents in forehead

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Steph, Feb 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steph

Steph Member

New meter: Tried to use testing solution 5 times; couldn't get a reading. So went with real blood. It takes MUCH more blood than the Reli-On Confirm human meter: LOVE that meter. Today re Alpha Track, got an error message, and then a LO reading. Stubbie wasn't low on the Reli-On, he was at 212.

I've used Reli-On for two years, but was chastised by vet for not using animal meter. The AT strips are more expensive: much more.

So, someone please tell me why you love Alpha Track, and if you found it difficult to use. Hey, maybe it's just me! Thanks so much. I want to be convinced, really I do. And math is not my thing; didn't get the gene.

2. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

I've used the AT2 for over a year, I tried using the ReliOn, but I'm just not comfortable using reference ranges and watching for patterns. I was scared to death. But I've been using the Freestyle Lite strips in my AT, they're made by the same company (or were) and cost HALF what AT strips cost. I keep my meter set at 38 which is a cat code. I've done MANY cross-checks with the AT strips and the numbers have almost always run very close. On the rare occasion that I get what I think is a too high or too low number, I'll recheck the same blood sample with an AT strip, just to be sure.

Rain7 likes this.
  3. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Are you sure your getting the blood in the right spot? It doesn't require much at all unless your doing what I did at first:rolleyes:
    The blood goes on either side of the "wings" --it does not suck it in thru the end of the strip-
    It took me a few times --I tested with myself or the solution to get it right but I test often and it really is just a teeny bit-
    I did use 3 human meters before and numbers were all over the placeā€¦. that is when I switched.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I love it because last time my vet drew blood my reading on AT was spot on--I am kind of anal like that:smuggrin:

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Greetings, fellow retentive type! ;) :D

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  6. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with all the comments in favor or AlphaTrak - it does take only a tiny, tiny amount of blood. I have found that using neosporin or ointment really screwed up the results and seemed to plug the strips - using no ointment I have no trouble with the meter or strips. I also really like knowing the number closer to what a lab would get

Critter Mom and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
  7. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

I feel more comfortable using the AlphaTrak. The human numbers always seem way too low than what Frankie and Rom really are. I guess I prefer readings nearer the lab readings too. You only need a tiny bit of blood, then suck it up using the black side edges of the strip. If you don't get enough the first time, you can poke again and suck up again with the same strip as long as it is within a minute. You get an error message otherwise and then need to start again.

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I also use the AT meter and have had no trouble with the readings. It uses a tiny drop of blood and as long as you use the black edge strip, it is very seldom I ever get an error message.

The worst part was the test solution. For that I put a tiny drop on a metal teaspoon and then "dip" the strip in there. I get a reading first time that way.

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I've used ALPHA TRAC because I didn't know better. I was told to test if he acted funny. So I didn't think I'd be using it much. Boy, how much I learned in 4 months. I just recently switched to relion micro/confirm. They use the same size blood sample as the AT. And you have enough time for the meter to draw the blood into it. Actually seems to be more time than AT. The only number I worry about is 50 for human or 68 for AT. Haven't used AT since I got the micro. Otherwise I go by color. Blue is blue, yellow is yellow regardless of which meter your using. Yes the AT is spot on with his outside labs. But I'm ok with his readings between labs not matching. For home testing this is quite acceptable for me. And it is definitely more cost effective. A few times I ran out of AT strips and my order didn't arrive yet. You can't get them at a store. In a pinch my vet will sell them but for such a high price. I do suggest sticking to one meter though or you will make yourself crazy.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  10. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

I also started with AT2 and switched to Relion. Couldn't justify $1/test at 6 tests/day. The AT2 takes the same size sample as the relion confirm.
    I really liked the way the AT strips load from the side...you need to touch the point of the black part to the sample.

11. Steph

Steph Member

So you get it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hi!

Critter Mom likes this.
  12. Steph

Steph Member

Thanks, everyone. I am really torn and need to make a decision here. I am just wedded to the Reli-On and it is so quick to read blood, and it's cheaper.
    Maybe the universe will speak to me today! Appreciate your time!

13. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with using the Relion if you prefer it. Yes, the alpha trak is more accurate, but you are mostly looking for patterns, not specific numbers. A human meter works just fine for this. It is more important that you have a meter that allows you to test as much as you need to cost-wise. I've used the same human meter with Bandit for 6 years and never had any problems with it, nor does Bandit's vet have any problems with me using it over the Alpha Trak. He has access to my spreadsheet, understands the difference in ranges between a human and pet meter, and is mostly just glad I home test frequently since he has trouble convincing the owners of some of his other patients to do so.

The best meter is the one that fits your budget and you feel the most comfortable using.

14. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Another AT meter user here and I too like it because of the side loading strips as opposed to the end loading strips. I can test with a blood drop roughly the size of a straight pin head which is hard to see. If you are used to an end loading strip, it may just be the position you are holding the meter in that is giving you grief. Having used an end loading strip after my AT, I found that hard to get readings from. I think it's largely what you get used to. I agree with Julia, the best meter is the one you are comfortable using and within your budget.

Steph and Critter Mom like this.
  15. Critter Mom

Let me count the ways ... :rolleyes:

I love my Alphatrak the way you love your Reli-On. I find it very easy to use (my experience is the same as Linda's above). I have a number of anxiety disorders and I get great peace of mind from having a meter that reads closer to lab values. You're happy with the mode of operation and confident that you can keep your cat safely monitored using the Reli-On meter - and you're paying for the privilege. I know from my reading here that many veterinary professionals prefer guardians to use pet meters, but there is peer-reviewed scientific evidence that it is perfectly acceptable to use a human meter with a cat-specific reference range to monitor blood glucose levels in felines. Here's a link to the Roomp-Rand study; might give you some ammunition with the vet.

Management of Diabetic Cats with Long-acting Insulin

Mogs

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    Ken & Tara, Steph and Andy & Pimp like this.
  16. Steph

Steph Member

Critter Mom: That's a nice piece of research! I didn't see anything about glucometers...I do know that his numbers are MUCH higher on the Alpha Track, and that actually scares me. (Hey: Maybe these are true numbers? But what is "true" in this scenario?) I'm still wasting strips with AT because of no reads...Doing a curve today so maybe it will be happening soon: my ability to manage with the AT...I just LOVE the ReliOn.

r Mom

17. Carol & Murphy (GA)

True would be the value if the vet sent the sample to the lab - which would represent the true blood sugar in the cat (which is ultimately what the cat's body is dealing with)

18. Critter Mom

Both human and pet meters give 'true' readings; they just use a different reference range. Think about how temperature is measured:

0 degrees Celsius = 32 degrees Fahrenheit

The Fahrenheit reading is higher than the Celsius equivalent but it is true that water will freeze at that particular temperature, regardless of the temperature scale used.

Mogs

19. Carol & Murphy (GA)

I am not sure temperature readings are the same as extrapolating blood tests results for different species. I am sure it is fine to use human meters, but I would always be thinking - okay that reading was 250 but it is actually closer to 300 (or something like that) - yes, its the true reading for the meter, but it is not the true reading of the blood sugar in the cat's body (at least it is not in my mind). But then I am a medical professional and am used to evaluating the face value of laboratory tests without having to make adjustments in my head as to what is the actual result. Then again, Murphy frequently runs so high, maybe I should switch to a human meter so I could think his numbers were better. :joyful:

20. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Blood Glucose Meter for Cats

Facts:

Blood has two constituents, the red and white blood cells and the liquid (serum). Blood plasma is blood serum without the clotting factor

The blood glucose value obtained via laboratory analysis is the glucose level in the serum/plasma constituents of blood

The glucose is in both the serum and red-blood cells (RBC) themselves. However, the distribution of glucose is different between humans and cats (and dog too)1

In Humans 58% is in plasma/serum and 42% in RBCs

In cats 93% is in plasma/serum and 7% in RBCs

In dogs 87.5 % in plasma/serum and 12.5% in RBCs.

The point-of-use blood glucose meters (the ones we use at home) all use whole blood.2 However, what specific blood glucose they measure varies with the manufacturer. Some manufacturers only measure the glucose in the serum/plasma. Others lyse (disrupt the cell walls of the RBCs) and thus mix the glucose that was in the RBC into the liquid and thus measure total glucose. The meters then correct/adjust the reading to be equivalent to human blood plasma

Discussion:

Since the glucose distribution is different n humans and cats/dogs the resulting BG valve obtained from the human meters will be different that lab values and animal-calibrated meters. Also, some manufacturer's meters will be much different that lab values for animals depending upon which method (lyse cells or only use plasma/serum) they use to measure glucose.

Animal calibrated meters correct the value to be equivalent to lab values.

What clouds any BGs obtained from hand-held meter is that they are only accurate to +/- 20 %. That includes the animal-calibrated meter. Also, do not confuse accuracy with reproducibility. It is expected that one meter with one lot of tests strips to be relatively repeatable, that is if you use the same drop of blood, you BG value will be much close than +/- 20%

References:

1 Different Species, Different Blood

2. Glucose Meters: A Review of Technical Challenges to Obtaining Accurate Results

21. Carol & Murphy (GA)

thanks - that is excellent post

22. Critter Mom

@Carol & Murphy -

I'm sort of like that but with a worry about the lower end of the range. I can't just 'go' with the human meter numbers. Rationally I know that numbers measured on a human meter that fall within the appropriate reference range for a cat (per TRP guidelines) are OK but psychologically and emotionally I couldn't cope with seeing 'safe' human meter low numbers that are below the lower limit of a lab analyser's reference range. They'd completely freak me out. :oops: (Doesn't help having PTSD.)

Mogs

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  23. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Yes I had the situation today where Murphy went down to 51

24. Critter Mom

Whoa!! Scary. :nailbiting:

25. Tuxedo Mom

Just to throw my 2 cents in. I am non-diabetic but occasionally will have periods of low glucose if I don't eat numerous small meals on a regular basis.

A few mornings ago I had been eating small snack-meals but obviously did not have enough carbs/protein. I started to shake, felt dizzy, was stumbling, sweating, overwhelming hunger etc. and felt like I could pass out. I took my glucose reading (human meter) and it was 3 mmol/L or 54 mg/L. I had to drink a glass of fruit juice and have some carbs and protein to get back to "normal". This number is considered low normal for non-diabetic people and not considered a dangerous range. However for me it was causing major distress and I felt like I might pass out. By the time my levels were back to normal I was feeling totally drained.

Which brings us to the ECID (every cat is different) From my own personal experiences I am sure that there are some cats out there that cannot tolerate lower glucose levels even though they may be considered safe. The "safe" levels that are used for both human and pet meters are meant to be guidelines and are not written in stone. When my Tuxie hits 3.9 (70 US) on a pet meter he becomes extremely demanding for food. That is often the first sign that his numbers are going lower. We really have to be in tune with our own kitties and follow what they tell us.

My opinion only.

Critter Mom and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  26. MrWorfMen's Mom

I think this is a really important point Mary Ann. Menace has never been anywhere near the 3.9 (70 US) on the AT meter but she is finally starting to get some slightly lower numbers now and yesterday I thought she was going to drive me crazy with her "yapping" demanding food. She acted like she was starving and not feeling well, licking her lips and paper etc. She never went below 9.9 (178 US) on the AT but her perception seemed to be that she was hypo! So I was really glad I had the AT meter yesterday so I knew for sure there wasn't a crisis brewing.

27. Tuxedo Mom

When Tuxie hits 4.7 (85 US) on AT meter he starts to get more demanding for food, but when he hits below 4 (72) on AT meter he starts to get "frantic" for food...basically howling and pleading, even if he ate only 1/2 hour before. When he does sudden dips out of the blue this is my early warning system. ECID

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  28. Critter Mom

Saoirse had her one and only symptomatic hypo at 4.3 (77US) on an Alphatrak after a big BG plummet when she was on Caninsulin. She was lethargic - awake but did not respond normally when I called her. When I picked her up to test her she was kinda floppy. Scared the living daylights out of me. I'm paranoid about her so I caught it, but it would be so easy for a novice caregiver in a similar situation to think their cat was just sleeping ...

Thank the gods my hypervigilance and for home testing.

Mogs

Tuxedo Mom and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  29. MrWorfMen's Mom

I personally have set 90 (5mmol) as my low reading warning number for Menace. I don't ever want to her to be riding on the edge of safe numbers.

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  30. Ken & Tara

Ken & Tara Member

Thank you for that report. I'll be reading it for a few days to understand it better, but just the insulin ruler pictures were instructive, at least for me. One of the problems I had with Tara is that I complained that I could not accurately reproduce 1/2 unit on the U-40 syringes I was supplied, so dosing was changed to help me. Such a solution as an "insulin ruler" was not suggested. I'll be sure to instruct Tara's veterinarian in a month or so! ;) :cat:

Critter Mom likes this.
  31. Critter Mom

@Ken & Tara - It's a very good study. I'm glad you found it helpful. :)

Ken & Tara likes this.
  32. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Many folks use calipers to measure doses as they can be more accurate for measurement than many syringe markings.
    Great instructions are here.

Ken & Tara likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.