Alpha Trak 2 - blood sample size affects BGs?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by hellolucy, Oct 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hellolucy

hellolucy Member

I use the Alpha Trak 2 for Lucy's BGs. I've noticed that if I obtain a reading from a small sample of her blood (an ear prick that wasn't the best but potentially might work), the number seems abnormally low for her. I'll take it again a second time with a new strip and 'normal' ear prick (within 20 seconds) and the new BG reading is completely different. It makes me concerned as to how reliable all of the others are. For example, the very small blood sample from her ear tonight read 297 (she's still an uncontrolled diabetic and on TR). Another ear prick twenty seconds later, the number is 354. This isn't the first time this has occurred - I don't have records of the other number occurrences like this, but am going to start tracking them as this is now the third time something like this has happened. Any guidance?

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I use a Relion Confirm, and a smaller drop of blood always reads lower with it, too. I usually will wait till I have a bigger drop because I don't trust it's accuracy with a small drop.

ALL meters have an allowable 20% variance. Your reading of 297 followed by the 354 is within that variance. Annoying, isn't it???

ETA: Your kitty is beautiful, and I love her name (I'm Lucy, too, lol!). :):cat:

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I agree with Squall.... I never trust a very small drop. Don't waste a strip on it.

hellolucy and Squalliesmom like this.
  4. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I use the AT2 meter and have had lower readings when the drop is too small. Although the meter will still read and give a number I always try to get a decent size drop when testing. I have also read the same type of reports with some people using the Relion meter. If I don't get a nice "plump" drop I will re-poke or gently squeeze to get a larger sample.

hellolucy and Squalliesmom like this.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

And if you ever get an unexpected number retest.

6. hellolucy

hellolucy Member

Thanks everyone! I knew I wasn't crazy (completely) :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.