Alpha Trak 2 Meter lancing device

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kdd921, Nov 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kdd921

Kdd921 Member

I am having trouble getting any blood from my cats ear. The first and only time I got it I know I hit a vein and I had it on the number 4 setting but I feel like that is too strong. Does anyone have this meter and use a different number and get blood from it? Thanks!

2. hmjohnston

hmjohnston Well-Known Member

I don't. I freehand the lancet as the device gave me problems and upset my cat. Was easier to do by hand.

3. Helene & Cleo

Helene & Cleo Member

I also use the lancets freehand, without using a lancing devise at all. I find that I have much more control over where exactly I am poking, as to me it seems impossible to judge accurately where you are pricking when using a lancing devise. I feel that freehanding allows much more precision as to the location and depth of each poke.

However, many others do use lancing devises of one sort or another, with a great deal of success.

Have you tried using the lancets freehand?

H

4. Wendy and Oliver

Wendy and Oliver New Member

I always use the lancing device that came with my AlphaTrak. I leave mine set on 2 and usually don't have any problems getting blood unless Oliver's ear hasn't been properly warmed up enough first. Pricking a cold ear is like trying to get blood out of a turnip! ;-) Also, I have learned that his left ear bleeds easy and his right ear does not.

5. Kdd921

Kdd921 Member

Yeah i tried using it free hand and it makes me more nervous because the whole time she is squirming around, even with my mom holding her its hard. I guess with time she will get used to it and i will get better at free handing it. Do you have to hit a vein for blood to come out? I know that may seem like a silly question but if i dont hit a vein i dont get any blood.

6. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

You are aiming for the "sweet spot" between the vein and the edge of the ear - there are lots of little capillaries there.

[​IMG]

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Give it time and start with a high settings. The ears seem to learn to bleed and they bleed more easily with time.

8. Helene & Cleo

Helene & Cleo Member

If you hit the actual vein it'll bleed quite a lot; more so than is necessary. Aim for the 'sweetspot' between the vein and the edge of the ear.

Of course, if you do happen to hit the little vein itself it's not the end of the world, but there will be quite a bit more blood than you need - just ensure you apply pressure with a clean cotton ball or similar for a minute or so until it stops bleeding. Much better to catch the sweetspot shown in the diagram instead.

I haven't noticed any real difference in healing time when I've caught the vein, compared to the sweetspot; but it is a little alarming to see what appears to be a lot of blood (but in reality probably isn't that much at all). And if your cat shakes her head as many do after having their ears poked, you'll end up with tiny blood splatters all over the place. Not ideal...!

So yep, aim for just next to the vein, between it and the edge of the cat's ear.

Do post back if you have more questions.

Good luck!

H

9. kathpj

kathpj Member

Hi, being quite new to this, but having now pricked Reds ear well over a hundred +times in the last 3weeks. I have to say the most important 1st thing is to warm his ear. Make a rice sock. Child's sock with a few tbs rice, tie a knot in the end. Then microwave till warm. Ours takes 12 sec. Hold on ear for 2 mins. Then hitting the sweet spot, I use the lancing pen with my accu check set at 3, you will get a little ball of blood really easily.
    I hold a folded tissue under the inside of his ear with my fingertip behind to prick against (does that make sense?) then this can be used to firmly squeeze for 30secs afterwards to stop bruising.
    One tip as already mentioned, hold onto his ear firmly once you have the spot of blood. Red will always shake his head if I don't. You learn fast or find you have spots of blood over you!!
    Most of my 100++ blood tests have been out of the right ear, I find it bleeds much better and I can hold things easier. If you looked at his ear it looks exactly the same as before we started!!
    Probably best if poss to have two people at first, one to hand you the bits, but get all your bits together first. I always forget the tissue, it drives me mad.
    I can't advise on anything else but have got this bit down to a fine art. My daughter is going to post a utube clip shortly but there are some excellent ones already there done by some forum members.
    Good luck, stay calm. I did waste quite a few strips which is irritating in the early stages as not enough blood, and the head shaking.

Red has now been off insulin for 11 days and holding his own. This message board and the lantus support group have been absolutely wonderful. I can't thank or praise them enough. Continue to ask questions and as if by magic you get a very well thought out and rationale answer from someone (in my case on the other side of the world), who has found time to help!! Unbelievable.
    Regards, Kath &Red

10. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

If the Alpha Trak lancet device isn't working for you, you can use a different one. Just go to the pharmacy and buy a lancet device (for Humans) and compatible lancets. The AccuChek SoftClix is good but may be hard to find in stores. The MultiClix one also works well. Your local pharmacy may have other brands. Avoid the generic CVS one. It's impossible to use :-Q

Do try the suggstions that have been given to you. Really warm ears bleed best and it helps if you hold the ricek sock under the ear to provide support while you poke. If you use the lancet device, press it firmly against the ear while you poke. Some Human lancet devices come with a clear cap. You can use that to be sure that you have the little hole where the lancet comes out of right on the ear. Freehanding the lancet is an option.

11. Kdd921

Kdd921 Member

Thank you for all of your advice! After reading all of your posts I realized I was trying to get blood out of the wrong area. I am pretty sure I was told by the vet to get the vein, thats why I always tried to get a vein and it seemed impossible, and when I did it bled a lot, I did that about 2 weeks ago and she still has a red area on her area. I will make a sock with rice, and try to aim for the sweet spot next time!

12. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

If you try free handing don't try to prick straight down. hold the lancet at about 45ยบ angle, gently touch the edge of the ear and twist slightly. The lancets are faceted and make a slit not a hole. Twisting opens up the slit and allows more blood out. If you don't see the droplet immediately "milk" the ear, stroking on both sides of the prick, pushing the blood to the opening. Put pressure on the spot for 20 seconds after the test to prevent bruising. I've tested Tess about 8 times a day for the last 3 years. You couldn't tell from looking at her ears that she gets tested at all.

I also would recommend BD lancets, they are sharper and hurt less. And you need less pressure to get the test.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.