Alpha Trak 2 question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by alicemorrow, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alicemorrow

alicemorrow New Member

I have a question that is luckily not about KooKoo for a change, as he is doing wonderful and has not had to have insulin in over a month, tho I still test him daily! :)
    My 13 year old daughter has been having some dizzy spells and I have read and been told it sounds like it has to do with her blood sugar. She helps me test KooKoo, and is willing to be tested, but I do not know what would be a normal for her with the Alpha Trak pet monitor and thought that maybe someone here might be able to help?

My daughter has been through recent testing for stomach issues, where they still have no answers for us and has always been terrified of having her blood drawn in the lab, even fainted before, so I thought that maybe I could test her here and see if we could get some sort of idea if this might be what we are dealing with while we wait for a Dr appt to open up.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Test yourself as a reference.

3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Wow! Good question but I really don't know the answer to that one. It's usually the other way around, testing cats with a human glucometer.

I know there are other species that can be coded into the Alphatrak II. Perhaps pull out the booklet and change the code to the generic one? Haven't used an Alphatrak in nearly 2 years, but I think I remember there being a data sheet with t he test strips. Look for the code on that for non cat, not dog (I think it was a 7????) and use that.

Perhaps test yourself and then test your daughter?

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Splurge and get a human glucometer such as the WalMart ReliOn Confirm, and matching tests strips.

5. Deb & Wink

Yes, a Relion Confirm or Micro at Wal-mart is only $14.98 and 50 test strips are $19.98. Confirm/Micro need a 0.3 microliter blood drop.

Even less expensive are the Relion Prime at $16.24 and 50 test strips for $9.00. Prime needs a 0.5 microliter blood drop.

6. alicemorrow

alicemorrow New Member

Thank you all. I tested myself (173) then tested her (161) under the dog code. lol I am still not sure how I feel about the results since she had a banana around 2 hours before & I had thought she hadn't had food since earlier in the evening when I did, so I might be checking again tomorrow or just making a trip to Wal Mart, since I am low on test strips for my Alpha Trak 2 and have been putting off placing an order for those due to not wanting to spend the $$!

7. Deb & Wink

Yes, the human meters like the Relion Confirm and Micro have much less expensive test strips. Most of us here use the human glucometers instead of the pet specific ones like the Alphatrak because of that much lower test strip cost. I can test Wink for 1/3 the cost with the human meter versus the animal meter. We have reference ranges for felines, so we know what the readings on a human meter indicate.

8. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

Normal human blood sugar is fasting 60-100 and 80-140 after meals. The Alphatrak is 30% higher on average, so after meals would be 104-182 give or take on the Alphatrak.

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The AlphaTrak is about 30-40% higher FOR CATS in Rand's research studies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.