Alpha Trak control solution?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Savin, Jul 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Savin

Savin Member

Hi everybody,

I just opened a new vial of Alpha Trak test strips. This is my second vial. When I opened the first, I did a test with the control solution. Do I need to do another test with each new vial? Those strips are expensive!!! Thanks!

Savin

2. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

It's recommended. It doesn't take much solution. This is just a check to be sure the strips are good.

Savin likes this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

That's the main reason most of us use human meters!! No way could I afford to test if I had to pay $1 per strip!! They do say you're supposed to check with each new vial, but I feel your pain to "waste" a strip each time with the control solution!

Savin likes this.
  4. Savin

Savin Member

Oh wow, you can use human meters? Is there a trick to calibrating it for a cat?

5. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

No trick, no need to calibrate it for a cat, we just use a slightly different scale. Much cheaper and more convenient, too! :):)

Savin likes this.
  6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Most of us here use human meters! The only difference is understanding a little bit different "scale"....On a human meter, normal numbers for cats are 50-120...On pet meters, it's 68- about 150 (you can't really compare them)

All our insulin protocols here use the human meter numbers too

If you live in the US, one of the most popular meters is the Relion Confirm or Micro meters from WalMart...they're about $14, take the tiniest sample size and the strips are affordable at $35.88 per 100! (and you can get them anytime too.....if WalMart is open, you can get strips! Very useful if it's 3am on a Sunday morning and your cat is running too low and you're almost out of test strips!)

Sif and Savin like this.
  7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Over the past 15 years I have only used a control solution test less than 5 times. Note that there is an expiration dae on the control solution and another statement that the solution is only go for X months after opening.

jayla-n-Drevon and Savin like this.
  8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

All the reference materials here were written using human glucometer reference values for cats.
    Check my signature link on Human Glucometer and Veterinary Lab Reference Numbers and Notes.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    Savin likes this.
  9. Savin

Savin Member

Thanks, everyone! Such valuable info!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.