Alpha Trak2 vs Human meter my comparison

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tuxedo Mom, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I have noticed that a few people use the Alpha Trak 2 meter so I thought I would post my experiences. I have had some very helpful information on the differences between readings from an AT2 meter and a human meter from Julie and Meya, plus reading some of the posted articles. Now this is MY experience with the meters so it may not be the same for everyone, but I thought I would post it here as an example.

"I use the AT2 meter but I started to use the Freestyle Lite strips (same company) with it which are much cheaper. I did a number of test comparisons using the AT2meter/AT2 strips and the AT2 meter/FSlite strips and the results were well within an acceptable range between the two combinations. I often will do several tests at the same time if the numbers are wonky compared to the rest and the results are well within 10-15% variance. Since my Shopper's here in Canada has discount coupons and specials as well as points good for $$ discounts I have been able to get the FSlite strips at a very affordable price."

Since Tuxie is starting to get some lower numbers (for him) I decided to test the differences at this range. This was my results from last night's side-by-side comparison testing.

Meter comparison PM +6:
    AT2/AT2 strip 10.6 (193)
    AT2/FSlite strip 10.2 ( 182)
    FSlite/FSlite strip 6.8 ( 122)

These were all from same drop of blood..which was no easy feat, but my Tuxie is So good about the testing. So as I have been advised the AT2 meter reads higher than a human meter so for myself using the AT2 meter this makes a difference in how I view my readings. Again, these are my experiences and this does not mean everyone's results will be the same. I hope this information might be useful.

Meya14 likes this.
  2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

On the average, human glucometers run about 60-70% of what an AlphaTrak may get.
    You can extimate 1 from the other:
    Human meter = [0.6 to 0.7] * AlphaTrak
    Or
    Human meter / [0.6 to 0.7]. = AlphaTrak.
    ... both +/- the 20% meter error allowed by the FDA.
    Meters are not intended to replace lab equipment. They only provide clues to the glucose status.
    See my signature link Glucometer Notes for more details and cat-specific reference values using various meters and measurement systems.

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  3. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

I was also using the AlphaTrak 2 meter, but switched to the ReliOn micro to save a little money. I was so nervous about not getting it right that I took it to my vet's office and they did a comparison with an AT 2 they keep there. I was very surprised to see that the ReliOn registered only 10 points less the the AT2. They drew blood from his leg and we used the same sample. I wish I'd had them run it with their machine too because it's the most accurate, but I feel pretty safe this way too.

I guess my advice is, if you're going to use a human meter, take it to your vet for a comparison, that'll end any guessing on the numbers.

4. Tuxedo Mom

Thanks for the formula. I know that meters are merely a tool for monitoring and any meter has an error %, but I thought it might be useful to post my experience with comparing these meters ...only as an example. I did not mean for anyone to use this as a steadfast rule I hope this was okay to post?

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

It is fine to post. In fact, if you put the paired test numbers in a spreadsheet, I've got some statistics that can be done. With enough paired test data of the different strips, we might work out a formula between the 2 strip types.

Mogmom and Goofus likes this.
  6. Tuxedo Mom

Since I am in Canada I can't get the Relion meter. Using the Free Style Lite strips with the AT2 meter is much cheaper for me and the readings are very similar. I did do a comparison a few months back at the vet against her One Touch Ultra 2 and mine was higher than hers.

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Just remember that the formula is not that good since the accuracy of meter is +/- 20%. A human meter tends to be lower than the AT as can be explained by how meters determine BG.
    9-14-2014

I just did two tests with my original AlphaTrak and my human Easy Gluco Plus meter. Both comparisons used same drop of blood from two different cats

Dulce OTJ
    AT = 72

Easy Gluco Plus = 54
    The AT is 133% of the EGP value

The EGP is 0.75 of the AT

Badgar
    AT = 377
    Easy Gluco Plus = 331

The AT is only 113% of the EGP value

The EGP 0.88 of the AT

Blood Glucose Meter for Cats

Facts:

Blood has two constituents, the red and white blood cells and the liquid (serum). Blood plasma is blood serum without the clotting factor

The blood glucose value obtained via laboratory analysis is the glucose level in the serum/plasma constituents of blood

The glucose is in both the serum and red-blood cells (RBC) themselves. However, the distribution of glucose is different between humans and cats (and dog too)1

In Humans 58% is in plasma/serum and 42% in RBCs

In cats 93% is in plasma/serum and 7% in RBCs

In dogs 87.5 % in plasma/serum and 12.5% in RBCs.

The point-of-use blood glucose meters (the ones we use at home) all use whole blood.2 However, what specific blood glucose they measure varies with the manufacturer. Some manufacturers only measure the glucose in the serum/plasma. Others lyse (disrupt the cell walls of the RBCs) and thus mix the glucose that was in the RBC into the liquid and thus measure total glucose. The meters then correct/adjust the reading to be equivalent to human blood plasma

Discussion:

Since the glucose distribution is different n humans and cats/dogs the resulting BG valve obtained from the human meters will be different that lab values and animal-calibrated meters. Also, some manufacturer's meters will be much different that lab values for animals depending upon which method (lyse cells or only use plasma/serum) they use to measure glucose.

Animal calibrated meters correct the value to be equivalent to lab values.

What clouds any BGs obtained from hand-held meter is that they are only accurate to +/- 20 %. That includes the animal-calibrated meter. Also, do not confuse accuracy with reproducibility. It is expected that one meter with one lot of tests strips to be relatively repeatable, that is if you use the same drop of blood, you BG value will be much close than +/- 20%

References:

1. WHY DO YOU NEED A SPECIES SPECIFIC METER?

2. Glucose Meters: A Review of Technical Challenges to Obtaining Accurate Results

Jill & Alex (GA) and Tuxedo Mom like this.
  8. Tuxedo Mom

Unfortunately I did not keep the numbers I did from a few months back. I had just jotted them down on pieces of paper and eventually threw them out. That was before I got so OCD about recording dats. But I will document any future comparisons.

9. Tuxedo Mom

10. Tuxedo Mom

About 10 days ago Tuxie hit a 2.5 (45) which really freaked me out. Since I use the At2 meter I have been following up on the differences in readings. At high numbers it does not matter a lot since it is merely a way to track his numbers. However at the lower numbers I was panicky about figuring out the difference. So as you said the AT2 meter reads higher that the human meter, so for a low number on an AT2 meter I need to be even more diligent about watching for hypo

11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

On an AlphaTrak, below 68 mg/dL is potential hypo territory.feeding a high carb gravy can bring the numbers up quickly, temporarily. Follow the instructions in the FAQs on handling low numbers/hypos.

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  12. Tuxedo Mom

Yes..thank you..It was either you or one of the other senior members that pointed this out to me so I am keeping on eye on the numbers. It looks like he could have an active cycle today. I have one can of higher car but I will be going out to get a few more..just in case!!

I have been waiting until I see his numbers starting to go down before giving Tuxie his bigger meal. This seems to make a difference in his numbers.

13. Mitzelplik's Mom

Mitzelplik's Mom Member

Thanks for posting this! I'm also starting to transition from an AlphaTrak to a human meter because of the high cost of the AT test strips. (It never occurred to me to try the Freestyle human strips w/ the AT2.) I got the Akray Glucocard Vital from ADW's free meter deals and am trying to do dual tests each time using the same blood drop. I'm recording the Akray numbers now on Sheet 1 of Mitz's SS and the AT numbers on the second sheet that I already had set up for AT color coding. I'll have to wait until I get home tonight to update it, but so far I am not finding any sort of predictable pattern to the differences -the Akray has been everything from 21 points to over 80 points lower. I'll keep testing both for a while and hopefully get to point where I can make meaningful sense of the Akray numbers.

Joan

14. Tuxedo Mom

I am using the AT2 meter (since my first vet said it was the only one that worked for cats...I was quite guillable then:( ) with the cat coding from my last AlphaTrak strips which for me was am 8. I use the Free Style LITE strips, which are made by the same company and are merely the human version. The strips are identical. I had done about 30 tests a number of months ago (when Tuxie's numbers were consistently high( 400s) comparing the AT2meter/AT2 strips with the AT2meter/FSLITE strips and found the results well within the 20% variable that is allowed by law. Last night was the first time I had tried the comparison on lower numbers and found the results to be quite satisfactory. This is just my own personal testing but I figured I would post it here in case other people were interested That and the fact that the AT2 meter reads higher than a human meter, so I need to be more vigilant on lower numbers than other member using a human meter.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    Reason for edit: more information
    JAAshwell likes this.
  15. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

A while ago I did a compare of the Target up&up with the AT2 so I would have a reference when switching. It's attached here if anyone is interested.

Another thing to remember, is because the AT is a animal glucometer, it DOES NOT have to meet the FDA requirement of +-20% by law or the other requirements on human glucometers. Although, I believe the manufacturer states that it does meet this requirement.

I'm curious as well about the difference between meters that use whole blood testing VS plasma testing and what implications this has if anyone knows anything about it.

Attached Files:

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  16. JAAshwell

JAAshwell Member

Thanks for posting this Tuxedo Mom - it could not have been more timely! Emmy's numbers have been dropping like a rock since we threw the dry food out. I use an AlphaTrak and my vet keeps insisting I can shoot at 60 (with some reduction).

I did buy a human meter but we haven't started using it yet. Am I reading correctly that I can use the FSLITE strips and expect not much more than the normal 20% variation? Fantastic!

Judy&Emmy

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  17. Tuxedo Mom

Judy...Using the freestyle Lite strips has worked for me but I did probably 30 comparison trials using AT2/AT2 strips vs AT2/FSLite strips before I was comfortable using the system that way. Surprisingly I had read about someone trying this on a dog diabetes forum and decided to try it myself. I still have some AT strips left over to do the odd comparison now such as I did last night.

However before you make a decision to go that route I would advise you to try doing your own comparison tests first..just to see how it works for you.

BJM posted a few comments above this and said:
    "On an AlphaTrak, below 68 mg/dL is potential hypo territory.feeding a high carb gravy can bring the numbers up quickly, temporarily. Follow the instructions in the FAQs on handling low numbers/hypos."

Because Tuxie is just starting to hit lower numbers I have been making a real effort to get information. My vet said not to worry when I sent her the spreadsheet and he had hit a 45 at one point. I however had given him syrup and HC food when I saw that number and I am glad I did. So I have sent an e-mail giving my vet a bit more information about the difference between AT2 and human numbers. I want low numbers but I want SAFE low numbers!

JAAshwell likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.