AlphaTRAK is not turning on when I insert strip - Update: got it to work

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by FurBabiesMama, Aug 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Has anyone with an AlphaTRAK had this happen? Any suggestions???
    I can turn it on and see history by pressing the buttons, but it does not come on when I insert a strip. I tried putting in a new battery. I tried multiple strips.

I do not know what to do! I cannot give Mia's shot without knowing her BG, and getting another meter is not an option right now.

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Have you tried turning it on to see the history and inserting a strip while the history is showing. I tried it on mine and it went to test mode.

Is this a new vial of strips? Is there any chance that there is some dirt or dust in the spot you inset the strip? I have never had that happen before with mine.

3. FurBabiesMama

I just tried. It did not go to test mode.

It is not a new vial. I do not see any dirt but tried blowing it out - no impact.

:(

4. FurBabiesMama

Try #462 (only a slight exaggeration) and it finally worked. That was NOT good. I thought I was doing good making sure I had plenty of strips and a backup battery, did not expect my meter to act crazy.

5. Tuxedo Mom

I am wracking my brains here. The meter obviously works but for some reason the receptacle for the strips is not registering.

From the AT2 manual Meter does not enter test mode after inserting test strip

1. Test strip is inserted upside down or bottom end in or not fully inserted.

2. No battery installed Battery installed incorrectly

3. Dead battery

4. Defective test strip or meter. Blood or foreign object put in the test strip port.

Looks like you covered all of these suggestions from the manual.

I see you got it to work, but there is something scary when it took that many tries to do so. Did you remove the strip and try it again to see if it still works? If it continues working there may have been a tiny bit of dirt or something in the strip insertion area.

Good luck with your testing!!

6. FurBabiesMama

It was quite scary. Makes me feel like I now need a backup meter. After I got it to work, I re-inserted the other strips I had tried before, and it worked on all. I also put the original battery back in, and it works. Who knows?!
    Thank you for the quick response and suggestions. I hope that was a one time thing.

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Maybe the battery was not laying right.

8. Tuxedo Mom

It "sounds" like there was some miniscule bit of dirt of something in the strip insertion area. After almost 3 years, I have had an occasional one that didn;t register when I put it in but it always worked when I retried it. Having a backup meter is always a good plan. I have a human meter on hand...just in case :nailbiting:

9. Tuxedo Mom

The battery was alright since she could turn the meter history on and read it. The strip just wouldn't "turn on" the testing mode.

10. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If the meter was purchased recently I would exchange it for a new one.

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  11. FurBabiesMama

Amazon return window closed on 8/25. Since it just did it that once (so far), I am not sure the manufacturer would consider it defective and take it back under warranty. It would probably be a major pain to deal with that anyway. I may just order a backup one.

12. Tuxedo Mom

You could trying calling Zoetis directly and see what they say:

please contact Zoetis Customer Service at 1-888-ZOETIS-1 or 1-888-963-8471.
    PRODUCT SUPPORT.

13. FurBabiesMama

Thanks

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.