GA Am I doing the right thing?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KEWGIRL, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KEWGIRL

KEWGIRL New Member

1. Posting this in this thread as advised. Discussion below. TY!
    2. Hi there, I am so glad I found this forum. I have a male Seal Point Siamese Cat. He is 11 and is the best cat and it breaks my heart wondering if what I am doing is the right decision. Am I being selfish trying to save him? Last June Whisky was very ill. He got diagnosed with Diabetes. We gave him insulin and vet suggested we try diet. We did for a whole year and he was fine. 3 weeks ago he was off, I took his glucose reading and it was 18.3 so we went to our vet and did blood work. Came back a 20. I'm in Canada so numbers might be different for some to understand. I believe 6 is good. So it was too high but Vet told me that that wasn't high enough to give insulin and to give him Diabetic cat food(soft). Things seemed okay till Saturday. Took him to a different vet as ours was closed and sub q's were given for dehydration. He was lethargic as well and hadn't eaten for a couple days. He lost weight too. Went back yesterday due to a breathing change and more sub q. Vet suggested that we needed testing and his sugars came back 30.8!! I stayed up all night with the poor thing worrying he wouldn't make it. Emergency hospital was recommended but it's bad timing as first of the month all our bills come out. So morning comes and he didn't change. I did vitals all night long. Take him to vet and all I want to do is punch the vet who diagnosed him in the face...he wasn't there thank goodness, lack of sleep and a mad me don't go well together ha! So I need advice, the vet said he needs emergency care around the clock but it's impossible. I can't afford it at the moment and they make you pay right away. It kills me that I can do something to save him yet It's impossible at the same time. I am so mad. I am so upset and can't control my emotions, I told the vet that I want to try and save him by bringing him to the vet each morning and picking him up when they close and that we could do this for a few days to see if there was improvement. This is what we did last time. But is it a selfish choice? His kidney's may be failing, his eyes have turned Jaundice. Am I making him suffer longer? I just know I can't give up on him yet. The vet that diagnosed him told me that my other cat Jersey had 2 weeks to live and she's still here today. I don't want to disrespect any vets but I'm so mad knowing that insulin probably could have saved his life if given 3 weeks ago. I feel I am owed something for this situation the vet put me in. My kids love him and I can't say good bye yet. Any advice is greatly appreciated and please tell me the truth whether I'm prolonging his life for nothing but pure selfishness. Thanks for listening:)

3. Today at 3:12 PMEditReport
      #1Reply

4. [​IMG]
      Sharon14
      Welcome, wow you're going through a lot right now and I understand your fears and frustrations. I'm new here and can't offer much advice, but I definitely think Whiskey deserves a chance. Is he eating and drinking? If so, what are you feeding? Is he on insulin now, if so, what and how much. Can you give the subQ fluids at home? I buy them from my vet and give them myself to save a few bucks. You Say his kidneys are failing that is important to address. Fluids are important as is the right kind of food. I'm sorry I don't have more experience to help you. You may want to post on the health forum to get more responses.

Colin's SS
      Today at 3:34 PMReport
      #2LikeReply

5. [​IMG]
      Vegetable
      @@KEWGIRL I'm so sorry to hear your poor kitty is not feeling to well. I am still new at this whole diabetes thing but it sounds like you are doing the right thing for your kitty. If he is dehydrated then yes fluids will help but it sounds like he really could use some insulin. Is there any chance you can find a different vet that is willing to work with you? Some vet's will give you the supplies to do the Sub Q fluids at home that will help keep your cost down. Do you check his blood sugar at home and has he been tested for ketones? Checking his blood sugar and ketones at home is very easy and not to bad for cost. You can pick up any human meter at any pharmacy or walmart as well as ketostix to check for ketones. What kind of food do you feed your kitty? It's not necessary to feed him expensive prescription food, he can do just fine with fancy feast classics for a fraction of the price and less carbs then the presciption food the vet trys to push on you.

I know it's expensive and overwhelming and scary when our beloved kitty is sick, my cat vegetable was in the vet's office for 3 days at the begining of August for dehydration and ketones (that bill was over $400). Let me tell you though it does get easier and this board is a wealth of information! Please ask lots of questions and someone will reply with some good advice!

A couple of little things that you can do to help us out right away, can you go in and update your profile so we know your name and your kitties name as well as where abouts you live? Here is the link to the instructions on howhttp://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

Also if you can start a spread sheet with any information you have on testing that is a huge help to the members here so they can help you. Here is a link to set up the spread sheet http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-a-ss-and-link-it-in-your-signature.130337/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...LDV5nx1hJJqwQTqbCHW7_40/edit?usp=docslist_api
      Today at 3:40 PMReport
      #3LikeReply

6. [​IMG]
      Sue and Oliver (GA)
      Did the vet say your cat has DKA? If so, it is very unlikely you can treat it at home. Here is some information

http://www.felinediabetes.com/ketones.html

If it is not DKA, then there may be things you can do: keeping track of his numbers, taking ketone tests (described on the page above). Subq fluids are good, keeping him eating is good. Did they say he had an infection?

Is he eating? Can you test for ketones? What are his levels now?

I agree your thread should be on Health where there are more eyes. I'd copy this whole thread (use the URL at the top) and link it to a new thread on Health

http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/protocol-for-prozinc-pzi.109077/
      27 minutes agoReport
      #4LikeReply
      Sharon14 likes this.
    7. [​IMG]
      KEWGIRL
      Thanks for your replies. He was given 2 units yesterday but his numbers didn't change. They have him on IV right now and some meds for something. I was so out of it this morning as I stayed up all night with him so not sure what. He is getting insulin but I don't know how much or what kind. Last year he was on human insulin. Humulin maybe. 2 units twice a day. He isn't eating, hasn't for 2 days and was drinking but that has stopped. Also no litter visits unless he went under my bed last night. He wanted to hide so badly and tried to jump off the bed multiple times and I finally gave into him and put him under the bed. He did this very weakly. I hate when cats hide, you know they are so sick:( The vet did say that he still had fluid in his bladder which was good. I was feeding him D/M that the vet chose over the insulin treatment but bought him fancy feast trout. Friday he was only licking his food, went down hill from there. Found him hiding in the basement and he meowed at me in a tone I had never heard before.
      I didn't know I couls subQ at home. They've always just put a pocket of fluid in him before I took him home. I already have a monitor so I can do readings.

10 minutes agoEditDeleteReport
      #5Reply

8. [​IMG]
      KEWGIRL
      No infection, temp was at 35.1 and for a cat normal I believe is 38. I had him on a heating pad at home. I'm sure I'll get many of these answers when I pick him up tonight at 6:30. He'll be with me until they open tomorrow morning. I am hoping if he does have DKA they will tell me worst case scenario and I can decide what to do from there. Won't be easy. I just told my kids that are 6 and 8 what may happen. We had a little cry and mu son said can we get a kitten that will look just like whiskey Mommy if he dies? Oh boy, so hard. Fingers crossed. I'm so exhausted but can't sleep. Why does he have to be such a perfect little cat Lol!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2015
    Reason for edit: Added the GA prefix. Fly free sweet Whiskey... land softly.
  2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

My heart is breaking for you and your children, what a horrible situation for all of you. I hope you get good news from the vet, and that you can treat him at home. The members here have wonderful insight and advice, and are a tremendous support, so you are in the right place if you need help. Keeping fingers and paws crossed for you and Whiskey! :bighug:
    I doubt anyone on here has a cat that isn't a perfect little cat! :)

3. KEWGIRL

KEWGIRL New Member

Lol! I know. Vet just called and we're on our way to say goodbye. How am I going to do this? I don't even know how I will get through seeing my kids say their goodbyes.

4. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Oh my, I am so, so sorry. It's always so hard to say goodbye to a beloved family member. But remember you are making the best decision you can for Whiskey. Sending hugs and strength for you all. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Cat Ma likes this.
  5. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

@KEWGIRL You're going on so little sleep. I wished we could have helped you and your beautiful cat sooner. This is never easy.
    We are here if you and your family need us. We have a wonderful grief support group in our forum for pet parents and families of angels that cross over to the Rainbow Bridge.
    May you and your family find comfort in the wonderful memories and love you gave your dear Whisky. Know whatever you did, you did the right thing.

Sharon14 and Squalliesmom like this.
  6. ctmorris

ctmorris Member

Sounds like several things going on. If jaundice has set in - suggests liver issues. My Paddy cat wasn't diabetic but had a horrible bout with fatty liver disease that turned out to be caused by an infection. Have they checked his bilirubin levels? I know it's hard there are a lot of vets that let you set up payment terms so that you can get them through treatment that is necessary and pay off over time. Might be worth an ask at least.

7. ctmorris

ctmorris Member

So sorry for your loss - I didn't read that post prior to the one above. Truly a sad time - so sorry.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  8. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm SO sorry it was your baby's time to cross. BIG huge looooooong hug. It's never easy to say goodbye, it never gets easier BUT the love is SO worth it. I second visiting our grief support group - there's lots of people with lots of hugs that understand EXACTLY how you're feeling.

Soar high on your new angel wings sweet baby....landing softly back in your family's broken hearts.

More hugs,

Squalliesmom, Sharon14 and Cat Ma like this.
  9. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Im so sorry for you and your children. Whiskey was truly loved and he knew it, you did what was best for him even though it was difficult.:bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.