Am I feeding my cat enough?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Braden & Zoe, Dec 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Braden & Zoe

Braden & Zoe Member

Hello everybody. So its been a month since my kittys been off of insulin. Since shes been off the insulin Ive changed her diet to wet food only and shes been doing wonderfully. It use to be that I gave her Hill science diet perfect weight dry food during the day and at night id give her half a tuna can sized of Friskies Chicken Pate. this is the same can and size in the picture https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&sour...aw04ksLPzOaaGW9xv4Psw5gO&ust=1545490053946145

Since shes been off of insulin ive been feeding her a can a day. half in the day, half at night. But unfortunately every morning, at about 4AM my kitty literally stand over my sleeping head, meows, and pokes at me until I get up and feed her. shes adorable but its getting very annoying. It use to be she still had some dry food in her dish that she could munch on in the middle of the night.I feel certain that the wet food only is key to keeping her in remission so i don't want to put her back on dry. I've tried portioning the food in quarters with the last one being around 9pm. but still, every morning, at 4-6 shes bugging me... I cant tell you her exact weight but the vet said she could lose a little bit of weight but she isnt a overweight cat. The past few nights I gave her an additional quarter at night to see if that will hold her over for a bit but sure enough it doesn't. Am i not feeding her enough? Should I give her more then just a can a day? I dont mind getting up, feeding her, and going back to bed. but it would be nice to sleep a solid 8 hours again! Ive noticed that lately when im eating my own food she crawling on me seeing if she can get a piece? shes never really been like that? ive never been one to give her much human food at all. maybe the odd piece of chicken or a little milk from left over cereal, but now she wants everything im eating? Also any of my fellow canadian folk have any suggestions on treats that are low in carbs? I saw a posting about cat treats here but most looked american and nothing i can find in a canadian store. thx!

2. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

First I have to ask if you have checked her sugars recently. if so, and all is well there, then great!
    She may have made a habit, and not actually be hungry. If you don't add water to her food, you can try that.

For treats, I've only given raw beef chunks, once a week chicken gizzard, and occasionally cooked pork or chicken(unspiced).
    There are freeze dried chicken and other things in most stores which are low carb. I think superstore even has some freeze dried.
    Not sure if that helps you any!

3. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

It may be worth getting a baby scale so you can keep track of her weight. That is the only way to know if you really need to feed her more or not. Outside of that, maybe invest in an automatic feeder. This is the one I use, and it has been a lifesaver for keeping Spot happy overnight :)

4. Braden & Zoe

Braden & Zoe Member

I haven't been checking. if you go through my post history ive mentioned before that the glucose meter i have was pretty arcadic and i never once was able to pull a reading on it. but she hasnt been showing any signs of diabetes over the past month. shes not guzzling her water down daily, nor peeing giant island like clumps in her box. in fact recently she beens acting like a whole new cat! new found energy, being more playful, actually running for more then 2 seconds! Ill look into some of those treat ideas. Id like to know if there's a cat treat similar to the idea of a dog bone. something that can lay on the floor for days and maybe if the cat wants to nibble on something she can?

majandra likes this.
  5. Braden & Zoe

Braden & Zoe Member

wow I had no idea there was an automatic feeder that would work for wet food!? have you tried that with wet food? does the food stay fresh? recently ive been pondering about when i go up to my family cabin a couple weekends a month through out the summer if there was something like this to keep her fed while im gone. it use to be when i left for the weekend i would just over fill her bowl with dry food until i returned a couple days later. with her now being on wet food only I feel like my only option is if a family member can come over twice a day or hire a friend or a sitter to come by. but i would love to have a automatic cat feeder (for wet food) that could provide for her while im away taking care of the cottage. but I doubt this thing would feed her for 2 days

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  6. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

It has an ice pack that sits under it. I was skeptical at first but it has stayed cold for up to 12 hours (haven't tested it longer). Not sure about longer than a day though. You might want to have someone come over to refill it at least once a day. Spot likes to travel with me for weekend getaways, so that's another option if she travels well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.