Am I nuts or is this a BG fact?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harley's Mom, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

I am getting a new BG test machine because many times I have to poke Harley more than once to get enough blood on the test strip. If I had a meter that worked with less blood I think I would mostly get him with one poke.
    However....here is my question.
    On three different occasion's when I didn't get enough blood, I poked again and combined the blood from two different holes on the same test strip. Everytime I have tried this I get some freaky low number, like 24 or something crazy. Then I found that if I retest right then different strip different blood spot, just using blood from the one poke I get a much more normal number and presumably accurate number. Like tonight it was 65 on the first combined strip and so I retested and it was 110.
    So am I correct in thinking I shouldn't combine blood from two different pokes???? confused_cat

PS: I use the Relion Meter

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

That is an odd string of coincidences and I can see why you came to the conclusion you did.

However, I often combine blood from more than one poke, and I get expected readings.

3. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Try the Relion Micro from Walmart. Teeny blood spot needed. I really like it.

4. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

There shouldn't be any trouble with blood from different locations. It's the same blood. But your meter may be starting up the test on a partial sample, or the original amount may be drying up a bit before you get the additional blood in. We have noticed that our strips, which have a little window in them, change visibly in a matter of 30 seconds to a minute. That would change the test results for sure.

5. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

I notice you are feeding tuna and egg.. is that friskies? If so, I believe there's a changed formula problem with friskies which may leave it above the recommended intake of carbs.. I now read every single label because these companies keep changing their formulas.

Friskies Tuna and Egg:
    Water sufficient for processing, fish, poultry, soy flour, wheat gluten, tuna, egg pieces (egg product, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, casein, whey, sodium phosphate, sorbic acid as a preservative, artificial color), natural and artificial flavors, modified food starch, steamed bone meal, potassium chloride, titanium dioxide, salt, taurine, xanthan gum, iron oxide, vitamin E, A, D3, and B12 supplements, sodium nitrite (for color retention), thiamin mononitrate (vitamin B1), ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), copper sulfate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), cobalt carbonate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), folic acid, potassium iodide, biotin.

I am not sure how something where the 3rd highest content being soy flour (omitting water of course) is not only a plant product, but a flour, is even remotely close to 5% calories from carbs. I have noticed that these ingredients DO raise my cats' bg's. Personally I think they should rename this particular flavor "Tuna and Egg on Toast" in deference to the flour filler. :mrgreen:

6. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

It sounds like you're using the older ReliOn meter (Ultima?). I used that one initially...The newer one, ReliOn Micro is awesome! It uses .3ul of blood, which is just a speck, and sips super-quick. I use skinny-skinny lancets (31gauge) and can almost always get the blood in one poke.

Are you in the DFW area?

7. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

I am using the Relion Ultima but I have ordered the One tounch Ultra Mini and plan to start with that on Monday or so. It is suppose to use a much smaller speck too. We are in the Hill Country around Kerrville.

8. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

It may be the time it takes to draw blood from two pokes. I could see how a meter could come up with the wrong result if it starts calculating after the first drop and it takes you a second or two to completely fill the strip.

9. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

Ok the drying up thing makes some sense because I am sure the times I have succeeded in getting blood from a second spot it has taken me a while.

10. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

When I've had to do 2 pricks I get the droplets combined before starting the test. Then no problem. As many meters analyze in only 5 seconds it may have finished the test (or at least started and then the additional drop is ignored) before you get to a second drop. Once the strip starts to draw you must keep it in contact w/ the sample until the meter beeps.

11. Kathy

Kathy Member

OK...I think this is a true thing.
    My DH had to test and shoot last night.
    He is not an "expert" like I am with getting a blood drop from Bert's ears.
    He did not have enough blood, so he had to poke again and the BG said Bert had a reading of 199.
    This as PMPS, so I knew that was low for Bert.
    I asked him to test again with one blood sample and it came up 327 (which is more like Bert's numbers).

So just an FYI.

12. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Blood does not dry quickly. However, it does clot (coagulate) in a couple of minutes. Coagulation results in the liquid portion (minus the coagulation starter (fibergin) separating from the solid (blood cells) portion. The hand held blood glucose meters that we use are calibrated for whole blood (liquid and solid portion). If one only tests the liquid portion, the BG value will be different than if the whole blood was tested.

13. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

I saw you ordered the one touch ultra mini. I was looking for a new meter and called One Touch about 10 days ago, and I could have sworn they told me ALL their meters use 1 microliter, which is not one of the tiny drop meters. Before you open the box, read it and see that it says .5 micl or .3 micl
    I think folks like it, but just don't want you to be disappointed, so make sure its what you wanted.

14. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

The One Touch does use about three times as much blood as the tiny 0.3ul ones like the new Relion and the Freestyle.

I like the 'coagulating blood' theory too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.