Ambee's time on Humilin N

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by KittyCatNicole, Jan 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KittyCatNicole

KittyCatNicole Member

Thought I'd give this another try...
    Last year when Ambee was initially diagnosed, I tried using the board but people were really aggressive with me and questioned why she was on Humilin N.
    I just wanted to update. After three months of being on Humilin N twice a day, and her diabetic food, she went into remission. Has been in remission since May 2015. I understand that Humilin N isn't the best, but it worked for Ambee so I guess this is a post to say to those who are worried about Humilin N not working, give it a chance.
    I quite literally couldn't afford Lantus or Levimer no matter how cheap it was in the long run. I still have Ambees vial of Humilin N just in case, as it doesn't expire for another few months. Here, Humilin N is only 30.00, and as a student that's what I could afford. My parents paid for the food (which I've learned isn't nessecary to achieving remission BUT it worked for Ambee. She wasn't on the DM food though... Hers was a morsels and gravy chunky wet food.
    All the best to those in their journeys.
    Happy to give another chance to this board.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  2. Super that you were able to get Ambee into remission!!! And that you've returned to the board.

I think it would be helpful to others who arrive here with Humulin N to have another person that can say that they had success with it. Maybe keep an eye on the "Welcome to the Group" forum for new members' posts?

Thank you for sharing your success, and I'm hoping you have many long and healthy years with Ambee ahead! Congratulations!

3. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

I have had my cat miss kitty on humulin N and she did ok on it but had to give it every 8 hrs.i am facing same problems with lantus being so expensive.there are some people that sell lantus cheap in supply closet and give it away here and on diabetic cats in need etc to help people.that would be the only way I could afford to keep my cat on lantus is to look for deals like that.if I can't find any deals it will be back to novolin N until I can find a deal type thing.when I bought my novolin here it was like $26.also miss kitty doesn't need as much insulin on Novolin as she does on lantus.

4. KittyCatNicole

KittyCatNicole Member

How many units was she on? Ambee started on 2 units which I've learned is kind of high. But if you're monitoring the sugar numbers you should be fine with 2 initally depending on miss kitty's numbers

5. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

Yes I test her bg a lot.3 units seemed to be good for her and it got her down into 100s and a few double digits.every cat has different needs insulin wise.wish she didn't need so much.lantus she is on about 6 units.

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

"The best insulin is the one which works for your cat."

7. ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer

ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer Member

Thanks for all the info..I guess it takes time to figure out what is right for each cat. I just hate seeing BG 4-500. Elliott diag. 12/31/2015 and ordered NPH q 12 hours. Maybe patience is not my thing..This is making me very nervous . I am so glad to hear that a cat is in remission..Wow--You and Miss Kitty must be sooo happy!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.