Amethyst 01/17/2018 PMPS 242

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Pamela & Amethyst, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

:eek: Can I decrease her 1U instead of .05 safely?? This is ridiculous!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  2. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

:bighug: I know its frustrating. I think .5 unit reductions are enough each time. Let see how this cycle goes and hopefully she will not drop too low. I wish there were an easier way to get her BG up when it does go low. That is my only concern. I didn't have to work very hard to get Beenie's numbers up. I mean there were days/nights that I had to continually steer but I only gave small amounts of MC, occasionally HC or karo and it all worked. I never gave too much as to make her BG skyrocket. It starts with a little trial and error so I'm glad you're keeping notes:bookworm:. It helps others give you advise knowing what has and has not worked in the past.
    Does Amethyst free feed? I would not let her eat a ton throughout the day so that when you do need to steer her she's at least hungry. Remember giving her low to no carb food/treats doesn't get her numbers up and just fills her up. I would continue to experiment with gravy wet foods. There has to be something out there that tempts her. Maybe some odd ball brand of cat food..?

3. Pamela & Amethyst

Hi How are you? It has been scary I an afraid to leave her alone! Yes I have a notebook with her numbers and what happens everyday:bighug:

4. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Sorry I'm just now seeing that you responded to my comments from the weekend. I'd checked back once and you hadn't replied by then.

As I said before, I think it would be ok to do a 1 time shot of 50%, then return to your regular, newly reduced dose. Remember that the depot continues to give out at the higher rate for maybe 3ish days. In other words, her 6u dose's depot can continue to lower blood sugar for another 3 or so days after you've reduced the dose to 5.5u. Skipping the dose or doing a significant reduction allows you to interrupt the cycle of low numbers from the depot. I think you might be able to get her to be flatter if you gave a reduced dose instead of skipping it entirely.

I would agree with you that reducing by 1u - at this point - is a strategy that you could try to see if you can raise her overall BGs - IF that is what you're wanting to do. There's nothing wrong with the cycles she is having, so if you can maintain testing like you are currently testing, it's ok to keep doing the same thing.

However, if you reduce by too much you could lose her green numbers. There are pros and cons to each of the options you could choose.

That's some info for you to consider - what you choose to do is up to you and depends on your goals for Amethyst.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

At the beginning of the year, you tried a 1 unit reduction, that left her in higher numbers. Hard to say if that's an indication of what would happen if you did an1 unit reduction this time. You can always try it again.

6. Pamela & Amethyst

7. Pamela & Amethyst

8. Pamela & Amethyst

Okay Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.