? AMPS: 148 (US), 8.2 (W) Ideas welcome!!!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sonia & Leo, Jun 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Good morning!

At an hour before PM shot last night, Leo was at 112 (6.2 w). After debating for an hour on what to shoot, we tested the PMPS and it was 119 (6.6 w) so we decided to skip the shot again.

This morning his AMPS was 148 (8.2 w) so we reduced by .25 and shot 3.25U.

I need advice on how to get him back on track to 2 shots per day. I'm worried all the "NO SHOTS" lately will come back and haunt us.

Is it possible he's on too much insulin even at one shot per day???? :arghh::arghh::arghh:

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Looking at Leo's SS, I'm going to hazard a guess that given you weren't getting many PM readings initially, you weren't seeing some low numbers. As a result, you didn't have the advantage of seeing those lows, let alone lower pre-shot numbers since it's likely that Leo was bouncing.

With TR, once you become confident in your ability to deal with lower numbers and subsequently, become "data ready", you can start shooting lower numbers. If you look through the subject lines posted on the board or open some of our spreadsheets, you'll notice that there are people like me who would ultimately shoot any number that was above 50. With TR, the mantra is, "Shoot low to stay low." While it's completely counterintuitive, this is often what happens -- often but not always. (For example, look at the cycle where you shot a 117.) I would not suggest plunging in and shooting low. It's a bit tough on the nerves in the beginning. What I would suggest, is to decide on where you're comfortable shooting and work your way down. For example, you might consider shooting any number above 120, then lower it to 100, and work your way down to shooting 50 or above.

I don't think it's an issue of too much insulin. If it was, the numbers would be much lower.

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

As lomg as you were home and able to monitor, you could have given insulin last night provided you could stay up to monitor if necessary. If shooting those numbers is too scary you can work your way down as Sienne suggested. There’s usually someone around for support. Next time you are not sure stall, don’t feed, and post for help. Often somebody will be around for support and advice until it’s safe to stop testing. Make sure you have Karoo syrup or honey and some high carb food around. Then you can learn to steer the cycle with food if necessary.

4. Sonia & Leo

@Sienne and Gabby (GA) @tiffmaxee

Thank you both, Elise & Sienne. I like the idea of using a 120BG as a rule for the time being and seeing where that leads. Great idea, because I do want to want to get him down to some nice regulated numbers without all the drama hopefully. Taking a more conservative approach is better for us at the moment.

Thanks again, have a great Sunday!

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Sonia:

Also, sometimes it's helpful to retest if you get an initially low ore-shot number. Often, since it's the end of the cycle, numbers will start to spontaneously start to rise. If you do opt to stall for a a bit and then retest, remember to not give Leo his meal. If you feed him, you won't know if the numbers are rising or their own or if it's the food giving the numbers a bump.

6. Sonia & Leo

Ok. Thank you! :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.