? AMPS 164, skipped shot, 4.5 hours later at 390, too late to give shot?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bubby & Ash, Mar 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubby & Ash

Bubby & Ash New Member

Hello. I am mid-way through transitioning from dry to wet food. This morning, Bubby's AMPS was vastly lower than normal, so I called the vet and she advised to skip the shot and call back at noon with an updated number. At +1, he was still at 164, +3 he was at 342, and +4.5 he was at 390. The vet said to give him 1 unit now (+4.5), and then let her know where he was at at PMPS. I feel like it's too late though to give a shot? I see someone had almost this exact question a couple of posts down and the advice was to wait until the regular time. Does that apply here as well? Thank you for any help, I'm so anxious about this.

Previous post: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/too-much-insulin-or-too-little.192068/

2. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

My advice is to wait until regular shot time. If you shoot very late, you would need to reset your PM shot time (which would likely be the middle of the night?). Not sure you want to do that.... If you did shoot now, and keep your PM time, it would act as an increase and overlap. I would keep, NS in your SS an re-evaluate at PM. Based on what is in your SS, your PMPS might be very high. Don't panic about this, it is to be expected based on the numbers you are seeing. Please post for more advice if you are worried or need help.

Congrats on getting up and running with home testing and making the transition to wet food. Looks like it is helping!

3. Bubby & Ash

Bubby & Ash New Member

Ok, thank you so much for the advice. That's what I was afraid of...too much overlap. I am not used to seeing him in lower numbers so I'm a little (honestly, a lot) panicky at the moment. Hopefully this gets better. I'm assuming I'd just give his regular 2.5 units tonight, even though this morning he was so much lower?

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

My thoughts were the same as Carol's. Since you need to give a shot every 12 hours, pick the time that works for your schedule and shoot then. Otherwise, you are going to have to figure out how to get your kitty on your preferred schedule with multiple time adjustments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.