? AMPS 171 +3 103

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Holly and Fudge, Sep 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holly and Fudge

Holly and Fudge Member

Hello...

So Fudge relapsed. I started the Lantus again last Monday but it was 10 month old vial in the fridge. I started him on a new pen I was able to get Friday night. Can someone look at his numbers SS and should I wait a week from the new Lantus date to increase or go up to .60 tomorrow a week from starting the old Lantus. No green numbers yet :'(

Thanks

Holly

2. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Go ahead and add the ? mark to the prefix of your title to catch more eyes. If you're following SLGS with the 103 today you could hold the dose and as long as most of his nadirs are under 150.

Holly and Fudge likes this.
  3. Holly and Fudge

Holly and Fudge Member

Thanks Karen !!

4. Holly and Fudge

Holly and Fudge Member

I would like to get him in the greens.

5. Doodles & Karen

It's a judgement call for you to make. Are you using 90 as a reduction point or a modified version of SLGS? ETA: Depending on what your reduction point is there could be room to increase by .25. It's harder to get them in remission the second time and often you have to go higher in dose to get there. So far Fudge is responding pretty good though!

6. Holly and Fudge

Holly and Fudge Member

I would like him at 90 or less. I wonder though if I should hold because of that new Lantus I started Friday night...Maybe I will do .60 tonight but no higher.

7. Doodles & Karen

I think you're pretty experienced and know Fudge pretty well. No harm in holding the dose or going up because you test him enough to intervene if needed.

8. Holly and Fudge

Holly and Fudge Member

Thanks Karen !! I think I will go up to .60 and test :')

9. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

sorry about he relapse... yu will get Fudge back to green in no time!!:bighug:

10. Holly and Fudge

Holly and Fudge Member

Thank You !! I count my blessings he is easy to control.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  11. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Fudge won't have to be back on insulin for very long.

12. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

It looks like you shot 0.5u tonight - at least that's what the spreadsheet says. I would stick to the SLGS dosing guidelines: a week at a dose, then do a curve or look at the low points, compare to the chart on the sticky, and decide if you should hold or increase.

I wouldn't skootch up in dose unless you are fine-tuning the dose. It usually works better to increase in the 0.25u increments instead. It is typical that a cat out of remission is likely to get back up to the highest dose they were at while on insulin before - in Fudge's case, he got up to 1.0u. While he might not need to get to 1.0u again, it wouldn't be surprising if he does.

As Karen said, following the SLGS guidelines would mean that you would hold the dose for another week. As long as he's eating dry you can't follow Tight Reg guidelines.

Sorry to have you guys back, but glad to see you, Holly. Do you know what brought Fudge out of remission? Are his teeth in need of cleaning? Did he get into high carb food? Has his thyroid been checked? Any signs of pancreatitis? All of those are common reasons for a cat to come out of remission, and you might need to address whatever the problem was if you're hoping to get him back into remission again.

13. Holly and Fudge

Holly and Fudge Member

Thanks Julie !! Nothing I can think of that would bring him out of remission. He does have asthma, feline herpes, and nodules in his lungs so maybe that. He needs a dental but the vet said no infection. I am going to bring a urine in tomorrow to be tested. Other than that, a happy cat. I am going to go up to .75 instead of .60 Thank you !

Holly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.