Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi Member

Don’t know if I wrote right but better.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I like that! That's a big drop from AMPS and normally we'd say get another test an hour or two after that to see if she had a dive planned.

3. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I did just now +6 and it’s 259.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I meant to do every 2 hours today but the sleep monster bit me in my recliner. I really hate to poke that often. She’s getting resentful.

5. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Are you still using Novolin N insulin?

6. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Yes

7. JL and Chip

I would be very cautious about increasing the dose without more mid cycle tests. I don't know your full history but if your spreadsheet reflects everything to date, I'd consider dropping the dose back down and getting more data.

N is a notoriously harsh and fast-acting insulin in cats and doesn't last a full 12 hours in many cats, meaning pre shot values can be high even though the cat is dropping dangerously low during the cycle. It's important not to chase high numbers.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, I'm just concerned about your kitty and the big jump from 2 to 2.5 u without mid cycle data. Please be careful. Pre-shot values are only one piece of the puzzle.

8. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I’ve been trying to get more today. I fell to sleep and plus she’s just getting so resentful of me.

9. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I’ve been researching and from on the days I have been getting more tests it seems to be about this spot on:
    Action in cats
    • onset 1-2h,
    • sharp peak 4-6h,
    • duration 8-12h[1][2]

10. JL and Chip

Yep, completely understand. It can be so frustrating and emotionally draining, especially in the early days. And sleep happens. I've slept through more testing alarms than I care to admit!

Just curious ... why do you think you've been giving fur shots? Liquid on hands? Bent needles? High pre-shot in next cycle? I don't mean to question your judgement, it's just that sometimes when we're stressed we aren't in a head space to be completely objective. I know I've misjudged at times and I've been doing this a long time. And I want to make sure you're getting the best advice possible. :)

11. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I am now questioning if some of those actually were fur shots! Funny you kind of read my mind here. I just tested and +8 she’s back up to 400. So at pre-shot Time her numbers will probably be quite high again.

12. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

So I may need a longer acting insulin huh? Are those super more espensive than Novolin? That wouldn’t mean I would get it by any means...just wondering. My Novolin was only $30

13. JL and Chip

N is notorious for not lasting a full 12 hours in cats, although every cat is different. It does ususally hit pretty hard which can put them on a rough up/down ride. It's very possible you're seeing signs of that.

I think it's a great idea to consider a longer acting insulin. Yes, they will most likely be more expensive than Novolin N.

The longer-acting insulins commonly used in cats are Lantus, Levemir, and Prozinc.

Lantus (glargine) and Levemir (detemir) are human insulins and have great track records in cats. However, they're "depot" insulins, meaning there's some overlap from the previous dose and so you have to have a slightly different mindset to most effectively (and safely) use it. You also want to be able to shoot on a pretty strict 12/12 hr schedule and be able to get frequent midcycle BG tests (which I know is hard for you). Head on over to the Lantus Forum and read the stickies for more info. Price is steep ... five 3ml pens were over $400 last time I priced them at a US pharmacy, though many folks get them from Canada.

Prozinc is another option and the one I'd recommend for you given your work schedule. It's a pet insulin available through veterinarians. It's an "in and out" insulin (meaning it wears off before the next cycle so there's no overlap to deal with) but is slower onset and typically less harsh than N. It is considered a good choice for cats, especially for those whose owners can't shoot strict 12/12 or need a bit more flexibility. Last vial I bought was $110.

I know your cat has been getting skittish around testing and shots. It's possible that she is picking up on your stress. It's also possible that the insulin shots are making her feel worse given the higher dose and harsh nature of N. I've had human diabetics tell me that the rapidity of the drop can make them feel crappy. My own diabetic cats have been quite astute in figuring out that the shots made them feel better and sometimes even reminded me when it was time. And I never gave treats at shot time (not a hard ass, just never got in the habit, lol).

You're early in the process so I have no doubt that you'll master this. I often say learning about feline diabetes reminds me of a Polaroid photo -- at first everything is dark and grey and unclear. Then slowly...very slowly...images begin to form out of the grey, a landscape begins to appear, and things start to make sense.

Hang in there.

Eta: in the meantime, I really, really encourage you to consider lowering the dose until you have more mid cycle data. 2u N is a pretty aggressive starting dose. Just my two cents...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  14. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

O
    uch on $110! Don’t think I could do that right now :(

On the syringe thing what if, using water of course, for now I fill what I’m using and inject it into a U40 and mark it where I need to draw to? Would that be better than reusing?

15. JL and Chip

The Prozinc vial should last you months if stored properly but, yes, there's a hefty upfront cost.

I'd reuse the needles.
    There's no way I'd try to use a u-40 syringe -- just too high of a risk of error, especially with a potent insulin like N.

16. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I’m going to ask my vet to change her. This bouncing is miserable for both of us!

17. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I have decided against the treats for now. She’s starting to associate them with a poke and doesn’t want treats anymore. I got PureBites pure freeze dried chicken and now she won’t eat them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.