Amps 212. How should I dose him?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Susan and Timmy, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

Timmy's amps is 212. I am stalling to feed and will retest in 20 minutes to see if it comes up a bit. I have been giving him 1.75 units of Vetsulin, He has been bouncing all over the place lately. I am not sure what to dose him now.

2. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

After stalling 20 minutes, he is at 256. I'll stall another 20 minutes and retest. I want to get him him up enough to give him a decent dose. I'll post after the next test. He is starving and wanting his breakfast. He is a talker so he is very displeased this morning. :rolleyes:

3. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

After stalling feeding and retesting for an hour, he is at 252. I'm thinking 1 unit? @Kris & Teasel

4. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

I went with 1 unit. I'll see where that takes him. :)

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Just seeing this now, Susan. I like that dose. Each situation like this is an experiment and the result gives you more data for future decisions. How's Timmy feeling these days?

Susan and Timmy likes this.
  6. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

I like the one unit dose as well. I often use the 1 or 1.5 unit dose with Smoky when unsure what to give him. It's become a safe dose to give him.

7. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

That yellow this morning certainly surprised me. I was getting a little discouraged with the preshot reds. It doesn't look like 1 unit was enough, but at least he won't bounce. It is so hard to tell what he will do. ;)

With those higher numbers, Timmy hasn't been feeling great, although he isn't hiding like he usually does when the numbers are high. I have been adding warm water to his food and that has been a game changer with getting nourishment into him and helping him feel a bit better. He is playing a little today, so it is a good day.

Kris & Teasel and Lisa and Smoky like this.
  8. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

One seemed safe today, maybe a little too safe. Hard for me to tell what he will do. Looking at Smoky's SS and how you dose those yellows, gives me more confidence. I just need Timmy to stop bouncing long enough so I can find a good dose, get more data, and get him into the blues, at least...then on to the good greens. Now if Timmy would just cooperate. ;)

9. Kris & Teasel

It's a marathon, Susan ... :) I'm glad he's feeling a bit better. That warm water into the food trick is really good and it gives them extra hydration as well as making the food more attractive.

10. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

You are doing great Susan. I didn't even start testing his BG right away until a few months after his diagnosis. Smoky has had a few hypos and some high bouncing. Every cat is different though. @JanetNJ has her kitty on vetsulin and I believe her cat went into remission fairly quickly.
    Smoky did poorly on it but is doing great on prozinc now.
    We just have to find the right insulin and dose for our sugar baby which takes time and lots of data collecting.
    You and Timmie will get there one day. Its a marathon not a sprint so slow and steady wins the race.:woot:
    By the way it took me quite a while to collect data and lots of help from other members on the FDMB to learn how to dose. Its why we call it " the sugar dance" Hang in there:bighug:

11. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You test often so it's OK to be a little more aggressive with dosing since you can intercept a drop and steer when needed.

My suggestion for the next few days assuming you can test as you have been are:

180-200 1
    200-250 1.25
    250-300 1.5
    300-350 1.75
    350-400 2
    400-450 2.25

If it's not enough or too much then adjust for next time.

12. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words today. It is appreciated so much. :)

13. Kris & Teasel

He could still be bouncing a bit but I think you'll have to increase his dose by 0.25 u slowly to get more action. The problem with bouncing is that they can get "stuck" up in those numbers and then need careful dose increases to nudge them back into responding.

14. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

He
    Okay. Amps was 316. If his numbers don't move enough today, I'll move him to 2.0 units tonight. Changing at the night dose is not the best, but I want to get him moving and I will be up to monitor.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.