AMPS 337, kitty won't eat what do i do??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sarah and Baby, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah and Baby

Sarah and Baby Member

This is a cross post from the Lantus forum, I'm hoping to get answers quickly.

I gave my sugar kitty 1u of Lantus last night, had some interesting BS. (See spreadsheet in signature)

She hasn't eaten much for two days and I'm worried about shooting her on an empty stomach. She has a history of ketones in her urine.

I am completely exhausted right now from taking care of Baby and working and everything else in my life. Please help me!

2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Sarah:

We usually recommend you do not shoot if she isn't eating. You have to have food on board to work with the insulin or she could drop too low. However, the problem with ketones in her urine is worrisome because DKA can occur if there is not enough insulin. Can you syringe feed her? My recommendation is to try and syringe feed her....put extra water in the food that you syringe her with and then give her insulin......but keep syringe feeding her what you normally would give her.

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Sarah,
    Can you test her for ketones?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.