AMPS and a Breakfast Change

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by becarose, May 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. becarose

becarose New Member

Good morning all! I was able to get a pre-food/insulin number this morning... 550! :shock: I'm glad it was readable by the meter this time, but woah! Based off that I decided to replace his 1/4 cup of kibble with another 1/4 can of the d/m wet food, since he has absolutely no problem eating straight up wet. Currently his dosage is 4u of u40 ProZinc, which I DID give this morning. With numbers like that I can't imagine him going hypo, but I've got the goods ready. I'll be around until 2:30 today (and later, if necessary) so I'm hoping to get some more readings throughout the day.

Aside from all this, Baloo will be going to the vet this afternoon for boarding, as we are going on vacation! (Never have I felt so excited yet so guilty about that...) We will be bringing his food/insulin/etc along with him. At this point my only question is should I tell the vet he's on wet food only now? I'm hesitant to change anything that could cause him to go hypo while I'm not around, but I suppose that's what I'll be paying the vet big bucks for, right? :roll:

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

That is a tough call. You have a clear agreement that he will be tested before each shot, right? Will they be willing to do nadirs also? If you're confident they will keep a good eye on his levels and be willing to adjust accordingly, I think I leave all wet. If he is on dry, it's sort of starting over when you get back.

He probably will range higher there just because he's there so he should be fine. You could always call and check in a couple times while you are away.

Have a good trip. :D

3. becarose

becarose New Member

I'll definitely call and discuss that with them! I'd love it if they could get some numbers for me even if he does have to stick with the dry. Compared to some of the vet stories I see here I think they have their act together so I imagine they'll take good care of him and most of my worrying is just separation anxiety. :lol:

4. becarose

becarose New Member

Ok... +2 was "Hi"... Don't think I'm going to have to worry about low blood sugar for a good long time. :roll:

5. becarose

becarose New Member

+4 came in at 448. I suppose that's a pretty impressive jump. I realized after the previous test that his poking treats were pretty high carb so I switched to some roasted turkey until I can get something better. He's got two more pokes from me and then it's off to the cat hotel! I think I'M going to be the one that needs a tranquilizer for that. :roll:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.