An introduction :)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mel&Kay, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mel&Kay

Mel&Kay Member

Hi everyone,

I’m Mel and my sugarcat is Kay. She just turned 18 last Saturday! She was first diagnosed with diabetes in October. Her vet suggested a low carb diet trial to see if we could control her diabetes with diet alone. Unfortunately, her numbers were still too high. After losing her appetite battling a UTI, she became underweight (she’s always been on the slim side despite being free-fed her whole life). Thankfully, she is steadily gaining it back. I’ve spent every waking moment researching and reading all your wonderful posts. I must admit it’s been very overwhelming and emotionally draining, but I think I’m starting to get the hang of it. :)

I’m now one week into her insulin treatment and it has been quite the roller coaster ride! Due to her advanced age, her vet said her chances of remission are slim and she will probably be on insulin for the rest of her life. I’m totally OK with this. My only goal is to get her to safe numbers! We started with 1U of Lantus and I now realize this was way too high and currently have her on 0.50 and thinking about lowering it even more. She has gone mild-hypo (no symptoms except ravenous hunger) a few times now and gave me a 42 today (I nearly had an anxiety attack).

I could really use some advice on whether I should reduce her dose yet again. I’m off to see what 0.25 looks like! :lol:

Thanks,
    Mel&Kay

2. tibbs5

tibbs5 Well-Known Member

hi Mel
    i responded to you over on relaxed board.
    Nadine & Tibbs

3. Lori&Scout

Lori&Scout Member

Welcome Mel and Kay!

I'm always happy to see new people here who are taking such good care of their cats. Scritches for Kay!

Lori

4. Tanya&MK

Tanya&MK New Member

Welcome! I am new as well! Mr. Kitty was Dx last week. I too have felt overwhelmed and drained so that you for sharing that! But hopeful with all the kind people on these board. There is also a Feline Diabetes FB page that offers great insight too if you aren't on there already.

5. Kimmied

Kimmied Member

Welcome to FDMB Mel and Kay,

Sorry but I am a newbie too so I don't want to give dosing advice. Someone else should be along and will help you with that.

I will tell you that it does get easier with time and uh hmmm...you may need to pull on those "patience pants". :smile:

I know, I'm the one to talk! :lol: I've lost mine several times!

Seriously now, I'm getting close to being on this forum for 3 months and I can proudly say...I'm feeling stronger, more knowledgeable and more confident about caring for Hank.

Oh, and don't say never but" WHEN Mr. Kitty gets into remission...". I have already read of more than a few sugar kitty's that have gone OTJ (off the juice).

Hanks vet also said to us at diagnosis that he didn't think that Hank would go into remission. I BELIEVE otherwise!! I don't know when but with God's help to guide me, Hank will go OTJ! :smile:

We're here to help if you have any other questions.

Kimmie

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Good vet for trying low carb food first.

And the vet might be wrong about needing insulin for the rest of her life. You already dropped from 1 unit to 0.25 units. Sometimes a bit of support for the pancreas and a food change is all you need.

It also could be that you'll wind up "chasing the numbers", ie, when she gets over 200 mg/dL on a human glucometer, you might give her a drop. It could be 12 hours, 18 hours, 24 hours, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.