Angela and Phoebe

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Phoebes (GA), Jan 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank gawd I have finally found understanding owners. Phoebe was diagnosed 8 months ago with IBD inflammatory bowel diesease. Was constipated off on her whole life. We switched to wet FF chicken, to lose weight she was a 20 pound girl. She kept loosing weight over the last year, about 4 months ago we noticed it was muscle mass. Took to vets (she is petrified) did bunch of tests, she had pancreantitis on top of IBD. She had lost 5 pounds in a years time. Put her on meds, still didn't stop her loosing weight. So vet put her on steroids to help, she developed diabetes. She is still loosing weight, we are now at 13.5 pounds. She was hospitalized 2 weeks ago because for a day she would not eat. She spent 3 days back and forth to vets and home for observation and fluids. Monitoring, blood tests. She did not eat for 4 days. Only iv fluids. She is back home with us and started eating on the 5th day. Joy joy joy. But blood sugars remained in the 400s and 500s at vets. She lost another pound. We have bought a alphatrak, same as vets, and are doing blood sugar every 4 hours. It's been exhausting and I am so glad to be apart of this group. She is now in the 300s and one time has been down to 256.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome Angela and Phoebe! :) Congratulations on testing BG. It's THE essential tool in handling this frustrating disease. Is Phoebe still eating wet FF pate style food? Good choice!

Please go and post on the main health forum with any/all questions you have and we'll get started helping you and your girl.

TempestsMum likes this.
  3. Phoebes (GA)

Yes classic chicken. :) only

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

That's the type of food we'd recommend, along with Friskies pates because they're low carb and also easy on the budget.

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Wow you are doing a great job taking care of her. One thing I learned from having both a diabetic cat, and one with kidney disease who had a bout of pancratitis is the benefits of vitamin b 12.... It helps with neuropathy in diabetic cats, and with appetite improvement in pancratitis. Is your kitty getting b12 supplements or injections?

6. Phoebes (GA)

I have some yes. I got them when she was first diagnosed with pancreantitis. Hers was not low and her other blood work was within normal range. Vet gave to me to help with apetite. But she started eating again. So we still have them. Will start giving them to her. :)how often ? Thank you for the encouragement!! She's my baby.

7. ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer

ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer Member

Hello Angela, I am so sorry to not have seen your message to me until today. I replied to your message and hope everything is okay with Phoebe. It's HELL worrying everyday about our precious kitties. It is a little hard finding all of your relevant posts..I wanted to make sure that your insulin concerns were resolved. I called and spoke with one member that purchased my Lantus vials to check if her kitty was responding well. Her kitty is doing great. I hope all is going well and again..I am so sorry not to have seen your message. I am surprised that I did not get an email indicating such...I do not think that this thread is telling me how Phoebe is doing since it skips from 1/2016-1-2017 and I cannot seem to pull up a spreadsheet. I pray that you and your baby, Phoebe and all FDMB members get the care that Elliott and I received from this FDMB forum..only wish there was a CDMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Welcome Angela and Phoebe! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.