Another dental / diabetes query

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sootyca, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

Sorry for the absence - had a rough few months with work and wasn't up to keeping online or keeping her spreadsheet updated.

However, Sky has kept well - having her injections and has been fine up until the last few months. She is still on caninsulin but her numbers have been creeping a little higher - she is now upwards of 300 on each test. I put it down to the insulin coming up to it's use by date - the last 2 bottles have a use by date of October 2017.

She is now on a "new" bottle but it isn't helping. I've increased her dose slightly - she had settled at about 1.25 and have moved it up in increments to 1.75 gradually but it hasn't done any good ( I know it's only a small increment). She is still high and at her nadir today she had "only" dropped to about 260 which isn't much.

She has put on weight and is now over 6kg and is always hungry and wanting more - I have cut her food back but from experience she is usually hungry when she is uncontrolled on her diabetes.

She saw the vet last week who has said she needs some dental work - she has peridontal problems and will likely need an extraction. He has said it is fine to wait until December as she doesn't appear to be suffering from it - they have a special offer on dental work in December meaning it will be about 1/2 price so it's obviously appealing to me to leave it.

However, I have it in my head that dental problems can cause problems with regulating diabetes? I can't find any specific links to it though. Has anyone any thoughts or experience? It's 6 weeks until she has her dental and if it's going to be causing a problem with her diabetes I would rather have it done sooner.

Hope everyone is well :)

Karen

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. Infection or pain can definitely raise BG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.