? another food manipulation ?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jayla-n-Drevon, Apr 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

The BF and I are having a disagreement about this and hoping someone can help clear it up.

So Dre is a early nadir and often even earlier diver.

Friday morning he was challenging to keep above 68 and diving fast and he will not always eat HC-

Saturday he was diving fast.... I had to work and force fed.

Saturday night he was not feeling well and did not want to eat much so I offered HC first as I knew he would drop more without much food in him. It worked-

Today amps 196 I also gave HC with pre shot and he ate some LC as well over the next few hours and again it seems to have slowed his roll....+3.5/119 AT

He seems to be getting comfortable in the 100 range now-(he has been doing good on this dose)
    I think the HC is going to stay on board until he realizes this is good to have a normal BG-
    Of course not forever....
    The BF says he will never get used to the normal range if I continue with the HC-- I should let him drop and intervene.
    Dre is not a part of the clean plate club--he grazes
    I cannot monitor ALL the time--
    anyone been thru this???
    thanks in advance!! :cat:

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  2. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

You use HC to flatten out steep drops or bring up low numbers. If neither of those are happening, then there is no reason to be feeding HC. I am unsure why you fed HC on a 196 preshot?

BF is partially right. The point of feeding the HC to flatten the curve is so that you bring up the lows/stops the steep drops and have a flatter curve. You can then raise the dose and bring the whole curve down. You can't forever feed HC when you see a lwer number, you just don't want them too low or too fast.

It does make it more difficult with the AT in play. His curves according to TR would be just fine to not interfere with IMO if you were using a human meter. On an AT, its unclear how much the numbers have been elevated.

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I fed a little HC pre shot today because he wasn't eating much and his pattern is to drop early in the cycle. I also was not sure I was going to be able to watch him as close as I needed to as I was a bit off as well.
    Going forward...
    If he eats a reasonable amount of LC I should shoot and intervene just before it looks like he will drop too low?
    I do not want him used to the HC..... I also know when he drops under 68 AT he will bounce....which I guess will stop when his body learns "normal" BG-
    Am I understanding this correctly? Better to get the drop and correct quickly than to prevent the "dangerous" drop?

4. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Anxious for the answer to this too Jayla!

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.