Another Newbie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Korynn, Apr 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Korynn

Korynn Member

Hi everyone: Our almost 9 year old cat Desi was diagnosed as diabetic about two weeks ago. His BG (is that right?) was 471! Because we were going out of state for Spring Break, we opted to put him on the DM canned food in our absence...and then didn't return to the vet's until this morning, when his BG level read 289. We were excited it had dropped so much by diet alone (and no keytones had been found in his urine - plus he had stopped drinking like a fish and peeing like a drunken sailor!). The vet still recommends insulin, but they are out of it and it won't be in until early next week. We bought a (human) Relion Confirm after reading on this message board and have used it on ourselves (ha!) - not yet the cat. We have an appointment next Saturday to be trained on the insulin. But my question is - if his levels dropped so much in two weeks by diet change alone, is there a chance they will continue to drop on their own (while on the diet)? Thanks for reading this. A whole new world for us.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    Critter Mom likes this.
  2. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Hello and welcome to the forum. BG= blood glucose.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. It's good that you've changed food before starting insulin and that you've gotten a meter and are going to home test. Learn to test Desi at home as it's possible his numbers may be lower at home vs at the vet where stress can raise the levels. Even if Desi needs insulin there is a chance that he could only need it for a short time while his pancreas heals. Good luck and please ask any questions you have.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Korynn

Korynn Member

Thank you. This is a wonderful resource. I guess I do have a question - maybe it would be easier to ask than go through the threads, which I tried to do yesterday: Is there a chart or spreadsheet about how much insulin to give with the "human" glucometer numbers (vs the pet ones)?

5. Sharon14

Dosage depends on several things. Do you know what kind of insulin your vet will prescribe?

6. Korynn

Korynn Member

Yes, ProZinc.

7. Sharon14

8. Korynn

Korynn Member

No, only my own and my husband's. I'm fondling his ears a lot and he's suspicious. Do you think I should do it ASAP?

9. Sharon14

If you can get some tests in before you start the insulin it will give you a better idea of Desi's BGs without the stress of a vet visit which can raise numbers. Also it will be good to practice now so that, if he needs insulin, you'll be ready. Most cats don't mind testing. Always give a treat(low carb) after-even if you're not successful. And remember to take a deep breath first and relax, Desi will feel your anxiety. There are several good videos on you tube. If you have problems, please ask. We've all been there and have many suggestions to help.

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Korynn

Korynn Member

My husband and I just took the plunge and did it! The cat didn't even seem to notice what the fuss was about. Whew! Thank you for the encouragement. The reading was 276. He had just eaten about 10 minutes prior to that. I'll try to do it at different points during the day - but I work, which will make that difficult during the week.

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. Sharon14

Great!!! Always get a test before you feed and give the shot. That way you will know if it's safe to give the insulin. Then try to get a test or two during the cycle. If days are hard, then get some tests at night. Post on The Health or ProZinc forums for more info on testing times and dosing.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    Korynn and Critter Mom like this.
  12. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi and Welcome! Sorry your baby has diabetes, we can all relate to how you felt when you got the news. You are all ready ahead of the game by changing to low carb wet food and testing to keep your boy safe. Sharon gave you the link to the proZinc forum and if you post over there, you can get dosing help and ask all the questions you need answers to.

Korynn likes this.
  13. Korynn

Korynn Member

Thank you Bobbie/Bubba and Sharon for all your support. I tested him today - before he ate and it read 256 on the Relion. I did it by myself this time and I don't think it went quite as painlessly for Desi as yesterday's did. But I got it done. We are looking for cheaper cat food than the DM. Any recommendations? I will comb through the threads (as it were) and try to find some lists.

14. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Each time you test, it will get easier and easier and good job on doing it by yourself today!

As far as low carb wet food, there are several that I use that are good. Fancy Feast CLASSIC, I made that bold because not all Fancy Feast are created equal as far as carbs go. They are around 4-6 % depending on which flavor you get. Also Wellness NO GRAIN are also around the same % for carbs. 9Lives PATES are too. It is not necessary to buy an RX food because there is nothing RX about them, they are expensive and most cats don't care for them. Here is a link for you for the comparison for carbs in wet food. You are in the states correct?

foodchart

Korynn likes this.
  15. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

Welcome and congrats on doing your own testing! Many of us feed either Friskies pates or Fancy Feast pates. They're both low carb and affordable. :cat:

Korynn likes this.
  16. Korynn

Korynn Member

Yes, I live in Oregon. Thank you tons!

17. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

I should have added that you need to look at the food chart floating around somewhere on this site to make sure you only feed the low carb pates as some of them are too high.:cat:

If you type "food chart" in the search bar and click "titles only". You'll find it easily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.