? Another reduction or depot still in play?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sue484, Jun 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

After starting Metacam for Arthritis 4 days ago, Frankie hit 2.1 (38) on Alphatrak last night at PMPS so I skipped his shot and reduced this morning. Just now at pm +4 he tested at 2.8 (50). Is this the depot still in play or should I reduce his dose again tomorrow morning?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  2. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

At pm +7 he is still only 3.1 (56). Can anyone answer my question?

3. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Sue

Considering what a bouncy kitty Frankie is I am amazed that he is not up in the blacks right now.

With the NS last night that should have drained a lot of the depot and yet he is hitting lows again. My feeling would be to do another reduction.

ETA Maybe with the Metacam his pain levels are more tolerable which could be helping with the lower numbers.

Sue484 likes this.
  4. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking. He certainly seems more like my cuddle monster now.

5. Tuxedo Mom

That is definitely a good sign. I know the Metacam you use there is a much smaller (and safer) dose than what is used in the US, so if it helps him, then that is the way to go.

6. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

At +10 he is 7.1 (128). Now I can get some sleep, but got to be up in 2 hours!!!

What dosage do they use in the US then? Frankie is on 5 on the syringe as he weighs 5kg and Rom has just had 5 teeth extracted and is on 7 on the syringe as he weighs 7kg.

7. Tuxedo Mom

In the US the strength is 5 mg/mL while your Metacam is only 2 mg/ml, so the US version is 2 1/2 X stronger.

Frankie sure kept you up late this evening. Hoping Frankie doesn't do his usual bounce after the run of lower numbers.

8. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

He's been a lot better lately, and even if he does bounce it only usually lasts one or two cycles and very rarely into blacks now. AMPS was 17.4 (313), so let's see how he does on his reduced dose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.