antibiotic

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Holly and Josie, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holly and Josie

Holly and Josie Member

My cat has a urinary bladder/infection and needs an antibiotic. We have tried 3 things and had problems with everything. On these boards I have seen two medicines recommended: Baytril and Zeniquin. If you have given your cats these meds, did you give them in liquid or pill form? (Not even sure if these meds come in both liquid or pill form?) If liquid, were there added sweeteners? My cats has problesm with this. (I would think a lot of diabetic cats would!)

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have used Baytril in the tablets many times. I have Zeniquin one before. Both are in the same class of antibiotics. Baytril also comes as an injectable. Aome have said that that can also be taken orally. I am not aware of an already formulated as oral liquids.

3. Holly and Josie

Holly and Josie Member

So both are pills. I think that would work better for Josie anyway. Thank you!

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Baytril is a big table while Zeniquin a a small pill.

5. Holly and Josie

Holly and Josie Member

So Baytril is large? Do you crush it? If not, zeniquin might be my better option.

6. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Some pill medicines can be compounded into liquid form or into a cream/gel or even a treat. Ask your vet if this is an option for whatever anitbiotic is chosen. Some types of medicines do not work as well in a compounded form.

Many pills have a yucky taste that cats don't like at all so crushing the pill won't work. Many people here use Pill Pocket treats. The dog ones can be used because they are larger and the bag will last a long time. You only need enough of the Pill Pocket to completely cover the outside of the pill.

Have you tried Azithromycin? It's a broad spectrum antibiotic. It can be compounded into a liquid. The vet sent me to a compounding pharmacy to have it done. I chose the chicken flavor and my cat loved it :smile:

7. Holly and Josie

Holly and Josie Member

Thanks for that info. If I get pills, I will have to try pill pockets. I have pilled a cat before, actually my most difficult cat, with decent results. It's not my preference, but as long as they are fairly small, I think I would be OK. But the pill pockets would be a nice option.

In any event, I think I am going to have to use a pill, because I have tried 3 liquids, none of which have worked all all. (Upset her stomach, contained sweetners which raised her BG's, etc.)

I have not heard of Azithromycin. Baytril and Zeniquin are the ones most people have mentioned on these boards, but it's good to know there might be another option.

8. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

The zeniquin I gave was in small capsules, and worked very well for my cats.

9. Holly and Josie

Holly and Josie Member

Great! Thanks for your input. I think that's the one I'll be asking for. I just hope it's not a huge fight to get the meds I want for my cat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.