Antibiotics

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathleen and Fred, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathleen and Fred

Kathleen and Fred Member

Hello, everyone!

Fred is having to take another round of antibiotics (doxy) in an effort to find out if Hemobart might be causing his anemia.
    He was on another antibiotic about 3 weeks ago, then taken off, now on again. Long story.

Anyway, should I be concerned about the side effects of taking these meds (he's also on prednisone for a while). Can they cause things like yeast infections in cats -- as they often do in humans? Is there something I could include in his diet that would support the good bacteria, while the antibiotic is killing the bad?

Thanks,

2. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Many people here add Forti Flora to the food during rounds of ABs. I add it to Oscar's food to act as encouragement to eat - it smells good to kitties too! If your vet doesn't have it, you can order it from here:

http://www.entirelypets.com/fortiflora30.html

Some ABs will cause nausea or diarrhea which the forti flora will help both (stimulate to eat and help solidify things)

I ordered on Saturday the other week and picked the 4 day shipping option and it was here on Monday just 2 days later.

Did your vet give you an idea of when the blood tests would be back?

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Any probiotic will help with the GI tract effects of antibiotics. You can get Acidophilus at a pharmacy, grocery, or vitamin store.

4. breayle and jake

breayle and jake Member

Yes, this is true! But please make sure to give kitty his probiotics at least a few HOURS after he's been given his antibiotics! If you administer them at the same time, you will end up killing the probiotics as well since the antibiotics just go and kill ALL bacteria, even the friendly ones :)

5. Kathleen and Fred

Kathleen and Fred Member

Will check on the probiotics at the vet. Kelly....no word back yet from the tests. I'm waiting (impatiently) by the phone. However, Fred had perked up since introduction of Doxy. Eating better, moving around more, generally brighter -- not totally himself, but looking better.

Thanks,

6. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

good that he is starting to feel better

It is not uncommon for diabetics to need antibiotics longer than a non-diabetic cat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.